Jamiaca

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm possible going to a wedding in Jan. 2022 in Jamiaca. I'd like to bring a scanner. A few questions:

1. Is it worth actually bringing one? Is there anything worth monitoring? I'm usually interested in PD, FD, EMS but when I visit other places I like to listen to others like attractions, air, security, marine, and FRS/GMRS.

2. If I do bring a scanner, should I bring an older one I stead of my SDS100?

Thanks!

436isthe1

Whistler ws1080/Uniden 436hp/GD-77and Cobra 29 ltd
I'm possible going to a wedding in Jan. 2022 in Jamiaca. I'd like to bring a scanner. A few questions:

1. Is it worth actually bringing one? Is there anything worth monitoring? I'm usually interested in PD, FD, EMS but when I visit other places I like to listen to others like attractions, air, security, marine, and FRS/GMRS.

2. If I do bring a scanner, should I bring an older one I stead of my SDS100?

Thanks!
Bring the sds100, Jamiaca has motorola 2 smart zones, Lmr and 25 phase 1 systems.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Just as a follow up for anyone that's interested. I emailed their Spectrum Management Authority. They replied with the below:

"Thank you for contacting us.

Please see application form attached in order to facilitate application for an Alien Amateur Licence. Kindy submit completed forms along with payment in the amount of US$20, as well as a copy or your passport (section showing picture and passport number). Also please state the equipment make, model and serial number so that same can be included on the licence.

Payment may be made via our website, please see link below:

We look forward to serving you. The standard processing time is six (6) business days after receipt of all requested information."

I replied with:
"Great. Thank you for getting back with me. For allowed radios, would a receiver (scanner) be ok to bring in addition and would it need to be included with any other radio I was planning on bringing into your country?"

Their reply:
"You are welcome. Please indicate the make and model of the scanner in order to facilitate review and appropriate response."

And my reply with possible radios.
"I would not bring all listed below, only one. I’m just listing ones that I could chose from if some are not acceptable.

GRE PSR-800
Whistler TRX-1
Uniden SDS-100
Uniden BCD-436HP

The ham radio I would like to bring is an Anytone AT-D878UV."

RFI-EMI-GUY

As far as scanners, though Jamaica is independent from the UK, many of its laws are similar to the UK where using a scanner for listening to police or and other frequency for which you are unlicensed is strictly prohibited. If you are scanning ham frequencies that would be OK. Try to search for Jamaica public law to see what the policy is now.

I would just be cautious about scanning police.

I have been to Jamaica dozens of time in past and no problem. I did once bring in some radio gear including a SW receiver and the guy at customs gave me a look and advised they "could" prohibit that.

Also some JA folks are sensitive that US CIA are running about controlling stuff in JA. Try not to be James Bond.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Would be interested in how this works out for you. I have made many trips to Jamaica - just returned from one yesterday. For 15 years on a private jet - I took a scanner a couple of times but since changing to commercial airlines five years ago I have not attempted to. I really would like to take my SDS-200 but I have no desire to give it away to a customs agent. I was stopped at an army/police roadblock last week but it was for Covid lockdown.

RFI-EMI-GUY

My go-to stealth radio was the Standard C508. it was V/U ham bands and general coverage tuning as well. I think there was a mod to extend the range. Anyway, it was very sensitive and could tune everything analog. 900 MHz cordless phones were not safe from this tiny thing.
1618102154432.jpeg

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Apparently, there is a form to fill out. So, I'm guessing you need to pay the fee in the link I posted above and then send in the completed form with a copy of your passport and US Amateur Radio license. I wasn't able to get it from their site but found it here:

and here

Here is where it's supposed to be:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
As much as I enjoy both scanning and ham, I believe there would be plenty to do in Jamaica without either, especially considering the hoops they want you to jump through.

RFI-EMI-GUY

When I was there last, there was not much in the SW corner of the island, down past Negril, where I spent a lot of time. My mis spent youth was in traveling the entire island in the 80's. Spent an afternoon "reasoning" with Bongo Silly at his famous "Lions Den". Went sailing right after that and was terrible seasick...Camped at Strawberry Fields. It freaked my girfriend right out staying there. But thats another story. I had to explain that everyone carries a machete at night.

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, Red Stripe beer. Beef Patties, and bananas. - All you need to survive. Meyers Dark Rum is the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.