Just a couple basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMDemon

Premium Subscriber
Are the feeds we hear real time or is there any delay?

Do we hear every feed from every source the provider listed, or do we miss any? I ask just because some providers list 6 or seven precincts, and sometimes it seems like a lot.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
There is no delay from Broadcastify or the feed provider. There is a delay from encoding/decoding the transmission and sending it through the internet to you. This can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. If the feed provider listed what is being streamed then that is what should be streaming but it is not always 100% the case.

If the stream is busy or very busy, it is possible and likely you will miss transmissions. It is the nature of the beast in scanning. While one precinct is talking and the scanner is locked in on that frequency, there could be another precinct talking at the same time. You will miss that radio traffic. Since you are a premium subscriber, check out the Broadcastify Calls platform. See if someone is streaming that agency. The way it works, no radio traffic is missed depending on what the provider is streaming.

CMDemon

Premium Subscriber
There is no delay from Broadcastify or the feed provider. There is a delay from encoding/decoding the transmission and sending it through the internet to you. This can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. If the feed provider listed what is being streamed then that is what should be streaming but it is not always 100% the case.

If the stream is busy or very busy, it is possible and likely you will miss transmissions. It is the nature of the beast in scanning. While one precinct is talking and the scanner is locked in on that frequency, there could be another precinct talking at the same time. You will miss that radio traffic. Since you are a premium subscriber, check out the Broadcastify Calls platform. See if someone is streaming that agency. The way it works, no radio traffic is missed depending on what the provider is streaming.

I'm trying the check out that calls platform that you're talking about but I can't figure it out it's kind of complicated. For example I’m trying to monitor Minneapolis man 4th precinct. When I go to the calls platform it brings up something called Trunked.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying the check out that calls platform that you're talking about but I can't figure it out it's kind of complicated. For example I’m trying to monitor Minneapolis man 4th precinct. When I go to the calls platform it brings up something called Trunked.
Trunked is the type of radio system, so go to that, then look for whatever dispatch covers the precinct. (They may have their own, or be paired with others.)

CMDemon

Premium Subscriber

Okay I was curious about to cause platform also. I ask that in a different
Trunked is the type of radio system, so go to that, then look for whatever dispatch covers the precinct. (They may have their own, or be paired with others.)

What do you mean by whatever dispatch covers that precinct? How do I get the frequency of a specific city?

depster00

What do you mean by whatever dispatch covers that precinct? How do I get the frequency of a specific city?

In a "trunked" system all the frequencies are shared across various users of the system. You need swap the term "analog frequencies" with "talk groups" on the digital system. Talk groups are assigned to a specific or group of resources. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3508 shows a list of all the talkgroups currently known. Browse that list and find the DEC or channel number that you want to monitor.

You will need to setup your scanner or SDR to receive frequencies from the local tower(s) or site(s), at the top of that link, which are closest to you and then program what talkgroups you want to monitor.

edweirdFL

I notice about a 2 minute delay between what I hear live on the scanners I have at my home, and when I hear the same thing on my computer while listening to a corresponding Broadcastify or Broadcastify Calls feed. It can vary a little but the nature of streaming involves using a small buffer so that minor interruptions are not noticed by the clients of the streaming servers.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Minneapolis precinct 4 is dispatched by the same dispatcher as precinct 1, on the ARMER trunked radio system. There is not a specific channel, but a talkgroup on the system. (Which looks like a channel to the user.)

A trunked radio system is very different from conventional radio, but most of the technical wizardry is not apparent to the users.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
It's been my experience that Broadcastify usually runs at least a few seconds behind my regular scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.