Just a simple ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

ok i listen to the zdc area map for air traffic but is there any map to show like where the stuff their talking about like "Flatrock" ect? prob not but i thought i would ask

Stavro35

aeornautical charts.

ok i listen to the zdc area map for air traffic but is there any map to show like where the stuff they're talking about like "Flatrock" ect? prob not but i thought i would ask

Yes,aeronautical charts would show what references they're talking about for sure. You might be able to find charts to download on line,or purchase.

DanHenry

SkyVector.com for online charts

SkyVector is a good place to start.

http://skyvector.com/

Enter KRZZ on the right side and it will center the Washington sectional chart on your local airport. Then you can scroll in/out or left-click and drag the chart around. You can also select the enroute high and low charts at the top.

Because it's a digital copy of the paper chart you'll have to manually select the next chart over when you scroll too far.

-Dan

immelmen

ok i listen to the zdc area map for air traffic but is there any map to show like where the stuff their talking about like "Flatrock" ect? prob not but i thought i would ask

Flatrock is a VOR west of Richmond, Virginia. If you are hearing a lot of folks getting cleared direct flatrock nothbound between FL310 and FL270, you are hearing arrivals into Newark liberty international starting the Philbo 2 arrival-Flatrock transition.

Not sure if Flatrock is a Hight altitude, Low, or terminal vor. If its anything but high it wont be on the High Altitude enrout chart anyway. but it will be on the Philbo 2 STAR plate which you can find the NOS version of on airnav.com...search for KEWR.

I dont know how much interest there is in charts but If you or anyone else here wanted some jeppesen charts/plates which all airlines use(because they are FAR better then the NOS crap the feds put out) I get a whole new envelope of plate/chart updates every two weeks. If Im not feeling lazy and whoever pays the postage, you can have 'em (the out dated ones I replace, not the new ones) except for the company specific and security related pages.

JohnFB

immelmen

peoples, I have truckload of expired Jepp high altitude, low altitude, area planning and oceanic charts. some are company specific including specialized markings for drift down/mountainous terrain performance ect. and branded with the airline logo at the top (cant buy those...only way to get em is to destroy your life and become an airline pilot) I usually just trash them when I get replacements. But, if anybody wants them......

gcgrotz

Flatrock is actually on US Rt 60 west of Richmond in Powhatan County, a little way east of the Rt 60 intersection with 522. It is used for Dulles approaches also, and Richmond - but not so much, they usually are cleared direct. Casanova is another biggie for Dulles.

Two other ones you might hear in this part of VA is Gordonsville and Montibello, the latter actually being one of the first nav points on the approach charts for Atlanta.

The Va Dept of Aviation will send you free a Virginia chart.

I just looked and saw where you were reconrider, you are probably hearing a/c talking via South Boston (124.050 I think?) which makes sense if they are heading north into the DC/Balto area they would likely be directed toward Flatrock.

Last edited:

Buttonville

Try a med sized airport , go to the Pilots Lounge...ask a Pilot ( Commercial ) or even the airport MANAGER for old Sectionals.

I knowhere in Canada we must trash em every 4 months , the company buys new ones mind ya.

I have given some to a young fellow who asked me in the small Terminal I was at one day on a refuel stop , between myself and the Co Pilots we gave him all kinds of Enroute Stuff...plus IFR Approach Plates...again , they were going in the trash or the young fellow could have en , he said he was an active Flight Simulator user.

Buttonville

If any one wants Sectionals or IFR Plates , these in Canada at least ( I dont know the FAR for commercial in the USA ) , you can ask a commerical pilot at your local airport, I know here in Canada my company ( as I think all comapnys do ) pay for all our charts.

In Canada , we must toss out all charts,plates ect every 4 months and replace with new , they are costly.

last yr while I was flying with a different company than I am now , I had in one yr young guys who were very nice guys ask if they could have any un used charts I may have.

I thought why would anyone want mu enroutes, high / low alt and IFR plates ?

Both requests were at different times , the 1st time the young guy said he would use them in a game called Flight Simulator...I thought well the trash or hand em over to the young nice guy..I did, he was very happy and went on to tell me how Flight Simulators have changed and what he can do with a Sim now. Impresssed with this young fellow I took his offer to watch him at his home..AMAZING is all I thought...if the IFR Plate said be at 271 degres while crossing the Middle Marker by gosh the simulator was EXACT!

I was truly impressed ...about 8 months later , same thing a diff young man same request.

Now at our office we have a box we toss em in, seems I was out of the loop requests for used charts is more common than I had every thought !

Even my boss , his son flies that simulator and his dad gives him our out dated charts.

I guess if you want charts of all kinds , just ask a commercial pilot...try to pick the pilots by type of aircraft..Big Iron pilots have no time....also pick an airport that only lands say single and twin props, your chances to meet a pilot is better. The black bag we have is where our charts are , amoung other things.

I hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.