Just Got A 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're welcome.

Keep in mind that the 436 has a floating ground on the headphone jack, and connecting it to the scanner ground can damage the output.

I use this external speaker (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OMLZR0/) and make sure that the USB adapter powering the speaker does not connect the output ground to the vehicle ground. Plug a cable into the adapter, and then use an ohmmeter between the shield of the USB connector and the negative input of the USB adapter (the outer contact on a cigarette lighter plug). If it reads an open circuit you're good to go. Just don't use the same USB adapter to power both scanner and speaker.

K1IWN

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that the 436 has a floating ground on the headphone jack, and connecting it to the scanner ground can damage the output.

I use this external speaker (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OMLZR0/) and make sure that the USB adapter powering the speaker does not connect the output ground to the vehicle ground. Plug a cable into the adapter, and then use an ohmmeter between the shield of the USB connector and the negative input of the USB adapter (the outer contact on a cigarette lighter plug). If it reads an open circuit you're good to go. Just don't use the same USB adapter to power both scanner and speaker.

Thanks!

Given the amount of wires I may just run on battery power while driving and bring a couple chargers to re-juice them overnight.

Between four of us with iPhones, SiriusXM and the 436 it is going to be a hot wired mess.:lol:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That would work.The speaker I linked is supposed to have 8-10 hour battery life. The battery is user-replaceable (you have to install it yourself) but I don't know if extras are available.

K1IWN

That would work.The speaker I linked is supposed to have 8-10 hour battery life. The battery is user-replaceable (you have to install it yourself) but I don't know if extras are available.

I'll pass on the speaker for now, but thanks. I just ordered up all the RAM mount pieces and other odds and ends I need for this trip. I should be in good shape. This will give me time to get it set up and tweaked with plenty of time before we head south.

I'll post photos once I get it all together and mounted. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.