Kalamazoo Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm thinking about purchasing a new scanner, right now I only have analog. I hear most of the 800 digital talkgroups are encrypted in the area....

What is actually broadcast in the clear digital wise?

bigbluemsp

State Police, some of the KZoo stuff might be simulcasted...

Other then that you'll get the surrounding area departments.

TheZach

Banned
Kimball is quite a distance from Kalamazoo... have you ever scanned in this area?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Zach - did you check the database for Kalamazoo County? Everything you see on MPSCS that says E is encrypted. Everuthing that says D is not.

You don't have to live in Kalamazoo to know that.

TheZach

Banned
rdale said:
Zach - did you check the database for Kalamazoo County? Everything you see on MPSCS that says E is encrypted. Everuthing that says D is not.

You don't have to live in Kalamazoo to know that.

I hear that the radioreference database is not at all acurate for this area... very icomplete and out dated as a lot of people went digital.

so im asking for someone that lives in this area... not people who want to increase there post count.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Whoever told you that is wrong.

Since people went digital, the digital side of the database is VERY complete. The encrypted tags are quite accurate.

Did you actually look at the database?

TheZach

Banned
From what I know from friends that are users on the system the encrypted tags are very inacurate in my area....

but obviously you guys know everything in the world.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The database here is submitted by local scanner listeners. If it's wrong there, then the users here are wrong as well, so you won't get any advantage by asking in the forum.

I will tell you that I've heard many Kalamazoo County comms on MPSCS.

TheZach

Banned
Is it beyond simple reasoning that theres a group of users who dont submit to the database?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not really - they wouldn't be posting on this forum if they didn't take the minute to submit info to the database.

If they do exist, they're keeping it to themselves, and not going to publicly air it out.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
TheZach said:
I'm thinking about purchasing a new scanner, right now I only have analog. I hear most of the 800 digital talkgroups are encrypted in the area....

What is actually broadcast in the clear digital wise?

The last time I was in Kalamazoo, the only things I heard that were encrypted was almost all CITY police coms. City fire was only encrypted on the mobile/prep side, dispatch was in the clear and they pretty much echo back everything that was said, makes you wonder why they bothered encrypting it? Only other people I heard encrypted in that area was nearby Calhoun Co. Don't let the few who are encrypted discourage you, there is still a lot in the clear.

You don't have to live in that area to scan them. You would be suprised how often coms from that area are heard on other towers from around the state.

TheZach

Banned
I know all the Sheriff Tac Channels are encrypted now as well as the emergency managment channels

I know the city patches fire (including portables) to VHF in the clear as well as the sheriff dispatch for portage.

it makes me wonder if theres really anything left in the area worth listening too.

bigbluemsp

Zach I guess we could always ask the 2 MPSCS radio Techs, and the other person on here who does nothing but set the system up, programs and deals with templetes on here but then again since it's an assumption then you wouldn't believe them either....

For someone asking a question about the unknown you sure are slapping a lot of peoples hands on this one.

N8RUS

I hear that the radioreference database is not at all acurate for this area... very icomplete and out dated as a lot of people went digital.

so im asking for someone that lives in this area... not people who want to increase there post count.

What's the prize for the highest post count.........am I missing out of something?????????

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Official High Post Count Card signed by TheZach :)

Status
Not open for further replies.