KCPD going encrypted???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookbinder

Newbie
Joined
Aug 9, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all, today I was monitoring KCMARRS while downtown was listening to kcpd center and east zone. Curiously, the BCD396XT kept showing talk group 33053 as ENC (encrypted) so naturally I'm wondering what do you think that might be about? Is KC flirting with encryption? Before today I have not ever had a reception issue on this or any other KCPD talk group. Just curious though. Let me know what you think might have happened or is happening. Thanks BB
 

PVPD730

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
894
Reaction score
168
Hi all, today I was monitoring KCMARRS while downtown was listening to kcpd center and east zone. Curiously, the BCD396XT kept showing talk group 33053 as ENC (encrypted) so naturally I'm wondering what do you think that might be about? Is KC flirting with encryption? Before today I have not ever had a reception issue on this or any other KCPD talk group. Just curious though. Let me know what you think might have happened or is happening. Thanks BB

Per department policy, they only encrypt as needed (usually dead body calls, calls involving children, things of a sensitive/investigative nature). Outside of those instances, they're not supposed to use it (although dispatchers and units do forget to turn it off from time to time). I haven't heard any plans for them to go full encryption, so you should be able to hear most of their routine dispatch traffic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top