• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood dealers on here

Other than John Smith (Gumby) and kd4efm are there other Kenwood dealers on here? I need software in a timely fashion if possible please. Thank you so much!

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I'll bite. Why?

(tried to ask that in private but it won't let me message GTR8000)

tlemke940

Feed Provider
There are a few legit dealers on here. most of them don't want to be known online. it has something to do with boundary's to work within and contracts with Kenwood. you may need to find a local dealer to get your software from unfortunately.

mrweather

Yes, the OP will probably need to find a local dealer.

I went down this road a couple of years ago looking to buy some NX-5xxx gear for my personal use. Kenwood corporate gave me a few dealer names and I reached out, but none were interested in taking my money. Oh well.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
The problem is, unless you're going to buy KPG-D1N software and cable and be willing to be self-sufficient in learning and using it, it doesn't make business sense to most dealers. Experience shows that many personal-use radios' owners tend to want them customized extensively and repeatedly and [dealers] can't really charge what that time is worth.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
and can't really charge what that time is worth.

Exactly.

It was what we always referred to as "high touch" customers. In other words, they often needed a lot more support than other users. I'm not a Kenwood dealer, but I've dealt with this in other situations, and it gets to be a re$ource drain really quickly.

Plus, they often want discounts/special pricing, which further increases the burden.

There are absolutely dealers that will support ham/one off sales like this, but not all of them.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
My local dealer was weird about D1N/D3N since I wanted wideband. But now I just call, get a price, and go pick it up next time I'm in town. It helps they do an extremely high quantity, so getting something isn't a problem. Look at the state system approved vendor list.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm weird about putting software in any end-user hands. I can barely understand KPG-DxN myself, let alone support someone else trying to use some esoteric feature I know nothing about. Blind. In snow. Uphill, both ways. :)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
You can purchase downloadable Kenwood Software from Ohio Solo Tech for about $25 and have instantly.
KPG-D1NK is $167 list. Draw your own conclusions as to authenticity of product someone is selling you for $25. Remember that the KPG-D* software use KPT-300LMC to authenticate your installation online with the Kenwood servers.

[Add] I thought we were talking about NX-5K radios only, which is why I mentioned KPG-D1. Still, note that the source mentioned does not sell any KPG-D* software, of course for the very reason I mentioned.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You can purchase downloadable Kenwood Software from Ohio Solo Tech for about $25 and have instantly.
One gets what one pays for with pirated software. As pointed out, JVCK's process for activation and running KPG-Dx anything calls home an authenticates- EVERY time the software is run. No valid key? No workie. Installed on another machine? Must use license manager to deauthorize and reauthorize on new install.

A Cadillac being sold for a dime is a dead ringer something isn't right.