• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5200 programming question

Baker845

My agency last year brought new Kenwood Nx-5200 radio's to replace are older Motorola radio's. The radio shop where we got them from, said they can't sell us programming software Key because we need Fcc Part 90 license. Is this a requirement, for the an agency to be able to program there own radio's or make changes when needed?

Not sure this this place to ask this question, but i didn't see right form.

thank you

Last edited:

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
Did you already have part 90 licenses for your old radios? If so, could they not just transfer over to the new radios?

I'm in Canada, so things are a little different, but here you don't have to have a license to program the radios, only to operate them. More specifically, the license under RSS-119 (our equivalent to part 90) applies to the radio and any user can then operate it - a typical use case would be radios in fleet trucks where the company provides, installs, and licenses the radios, and the driver does not need a license. The forms we fill out ask for the manufacturer, model, and output power of licensed radios, but that's it; replacing a Motorola with a Kenwood would just be a simple license amendment.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
FCC license are required to transmit, but since we don't know which agency this is and who's radio system they are on, we wouldn't know how to answer that:
Your agency may have their own FCC license for their frequencies.
Your agency may be operating under City/County licenses.
Your agency may be leasing service from a radio provider.

An FCC license is not required to buy the software.

If your agency is operating under the radio shop's license, or their trunked system, then there may be some issues with them letting you program your own radios, or put radios on their trunked system. If it is their system, then they do absolutely have the right to prevent you from adding radios to their license without their permission/knowledge. That is an FCC rule.

But, if the frequencies are actually licensed to your agency, then you just need to find another Kenwood shop that will sell you the software/activation key.

Baker845

Perfect, thank you for fast reply and info.

yea, i read that people have no issues getting the software. This radio shop we got the radio's from, likely is saying this, so they can have us come back for radio programming.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
After getting burnt by a Motorola vendor that couldn't seem to ever get our programming correct, then they left town and changed names we will not purchase radios from any vendor that will not sell us the software also. Had to sign my name in blood almost and spend almost $3000 to "lease" the software from Motorola. And it was all simple analog with a couple repeaters so it wasn't complicated. Tait has been very good to work with although takes a while to get the product. Kenwood has been good to work with for other agencies around us aldo.