• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX5000 DMR Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

intermod

It was reported back in 2018 that the radio will pause or dwell on *any* DMR channel activity while scanning, instead of checking for the correct Color Code, Slot and Talkgroup. This was not yet corrected in Firmware V2.5. Anyone have an update on this?

Also - can the radio scan any mix of digital and analog channels present in a scan list? Understand that globally the radio will only operate on two digital modes at a time.

Greg

dapaq2

My 2 cents... I know this situation holds true for NXDN as of firmware version 4.30 so I would imagine it hasn't been fixed for DMR either. Scan will stop on ANY channel if it detects carrier and does not take into consideration any other criteria, it appears to only be looking for carrier signal...

jcefd10

Are you saying once it stops scan on a DMR channel that it dwells there for what seems like forever?
I ran into a similar issue and found out how to stop what it was doing in my scenario.

intermod

Are you saying once it stops scan on a DMR channel that it dwells there for what seems like forever?
I ran into a similar issue and found out how to stop what it was doing in my scenario.

No. jcefd10 said this correctly. Saying it another way, scan should only stop on a channel having a signal containing the signalling codes you have programmed for that channel, e.g., the correct Color Code, Talkgroup and Slot. Or RAN and Talkgroup (I think...). Or correct PL/CTCSS, but I suspect scanning works fine with PL/CTCSS. Not "any" signal....

intermod

Oh - Kenwood may have a dwell or resume option for scanning that you may be thinking we mean, such as "signal" or "timed". This is not what we mean.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
So it pauses on incorrect talk group but squelch stays closed? Does it stay till transmission finishes?

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
No exhaustive test, but I think my NX5300 is scanning DMR correctly and qualifying Talk Group to stop scan. Haven't tried incorrect CC or TS, just talkgroup. My quick test didn't have competing traffic on other scan items but I did notice that the signal indication on the display would go on and off in scan as if it was noticing and moving past the active channel with incorrect TG. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do more before posting. I might have to return to the thread later and say "never mind"!

intermod

Thanks for the TG testing! That is a good indication. A few of us want to purchase the NX5000 radios - but since we all extensively use scan, we continue to wait. I have been been waiting two years......

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Don't know when it happened or on which firmware update but operator selected priority doesn't seem to work on SCAN LIST scan. It does work on single zone scan and I don't have any multi-zone scan zones so I don't know about that. I set up operator selected under lists for priority 1 and 2 but when trying to select from radio menu the button just bonks and nothing happens. Even tried checking temporary add/delete boxes--no joy.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Don't know when it happened or on which firmware update but operator selected priority doesn't seem to work on SCAN LIST scan. It does work on single zone scan and I don't have any multi-zone scan zones so I don't know about that. I set up operator selected under lists for priority 1 and 2 but when trying to select from radio menu the button just bonks and nothing happens. Even tried checking temporary add/delete boxes--no joy.
I am sending this in for review. You have my email? send me your codeplug or one your are testing with so it can be reviewed.

jcefd10

I’m sorry I just saw the replies to this. Never got notified. Let me get home and I can post where in the software to make 3 changes that may stop your issue.

jcefd10

So, here's the issue I was having with the DMR channels "hanging"
When they were in the scan, if any of them ever received anything, the scan would stop, and even after the channel wasn't being used anymore the radio would just kind of sit there on it. THe light on the radio would flash the same as if it was rx'ing trffic on the channel.
So, after some trial and error and help from a guy that's a genius with radios that I am fortunate to know (not including the ones on here!!),
I found the fix.

Set these timers to 0 seconds. Not "OFF" or it'll never resume scanning.

1602796257413.png

Attachments

• 1602796189195.png
    1602796189195.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 17

intermod

After this configuration change, will the radio pause scanning on a DMR signal (or any signal) having the wrong Color Code, Timeslot or Talkgroup setting? That was the original issue. Just want to confirm.

Greg

jcefd10

Mine will pause on a certain DMR repeater near me, showing the signal meter, and flashing the led color I have set up to indicate a DMR TG. But no audio comes through. It almost seems to me like the repeater is doing some sort of (sorry for my lack of knowing the terminology) ping to randomly check the radio signal strength.
I've even manually put it on that repeater before, in monitor mode, and heard nothing. So I'm not sure if it's just something with that repeater or what. But other than that, my DMR scan works perfectly.
I don't have my scan set up as a list, but by each single zone. And I have a mixture of Analog, DMR, and NXDN in each zone.

intermod

The signal could either be the beacon, texting or voice traffic on the other slot or different talkgroup. The repeater beacon can be enabled by the owner. But if scan stops on any of these signals, its remains a bug and I can't use the radio in this condition. Thanks for checking.

Separately, it sounds like your suggested settings allow it to resume scan after a signal stops, which is an improvement.

G

jcefd10

Until I changed those settings mine was a huge PITA to have any DMR channels in scan. I’d miss traffic on other freq, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.