• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-690H onto 6 meters ?

KC0CCB

i think when my friend Ben tuned it for me he did turn the power down on high power to 80 watts or so.. not sure how much it'll do on low.. maybe just 45 or 50.. will have to put it on a meter and see

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
so just a mag-mount on lowband would work just for receiving "just-fine" but i might do some experimenting this spring / summer with 3/8 by 24 6 meter stick antennas up on the house roof if anything else
Yes.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
where do you suggest me to tune my antenna for..?? i got a 1/4 wave NMO C-50 from Antennex here.. 52 in the middle or lower down..?
Do you want to listen to other services when skip is open? If so, I'd tune for closer to 48-50Mhz. If you want JUST the ham band, I'd tune right at 52Mhz then.

Regards,

-Frank C.

express315

I did the 6m mod following Repeater Builder article. Same as in the link provided at the beginning of this thread.
The same source has a link to a little program that converts 40-43 mhz entry into 50-53 mhz and 30 mhz into 29 mhz.
For 6m mod you need a radio with fcc id ending in 30. VCO will need adjustment - two coil slugs need to be replaced with
1/4 in pieces of 1/16 brass rod. Slightly stretching coils of Low Pass filter helps to keep power up above 50 mhz. No need to go crazy there.
For 10m mod you only need radio with fcc id ending in 10. Enter your ham frequencies using the same converter program above.
Done. HAM radios look like toys in comparison with mighty TK-690H!

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
where do you suggest me to tune my antenna for..?? i got a 1/4 wave NMO C-50 from Antennex here.. 52 in the middle or lower down..?
This datasheet shows that the C27 version of it is surprisingly narrow. The way it reads, the 1.5:1 SWR points are +/- 125 kHz from the 26.83 MHz center (0.9%) and the 2:1 SWR points are about +/- 270 kHz (2.0%). So you might tune it for the midpoint of the repeater TX/RX freqs that you are interested in (assuming -0.5 MHz offset) to get mediocre 2:1 SWR at both TX and RX freqs. Or you might set it to the middle of one of the three mobile transmit band segments (51.2–51.5, 52.0-52.5, or 53.0-53.5), depending on what you want to talk to. (This is based on what I see in repeaterbook.com – I don't remember what's actually out there in operation)

KC0CCB

hey since i ordered another ground plane kit i dont think it'd tune down enough for my 1/4 wave NMO antenna i have for 47 to 54 megs.. dont i have to have longer radials for those other than what i go in the package ??

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
hey since i ordered another ground plane kit i dont think it'd tune down enough for my 1/4 wave NMO antenna i have for 47 to 54 megs.. dont i have to have longer radials for those other than what i go in the package ??

Ideally you want the radials to be 1/4 wavelength.

But most cars don't provide enough roof space for a 1/4 wave groundplane on low band or CB, and it still works.

You could get some longer rods and make your own fairly easily.

WB5ITT

Premium Subscriber
As noted above, a NMO150 Larsen works as a base loaded 6m quarter wave and actually radiates better than a NMO-50 cut to 6!! The whip is longer and the loss through the matching coil is less....I've ran NMO-150s on 6m for DECADES..... as to using an Azden, etc on 6 FM, the commercial LMR stuff like KW, Midland, etc have NBs that ham gear does NOT....you'll appreciate it on cold dry days or driving near noisy electrical lines...I've ran Midland XTR and SyntechIIs on 6m since the mid80s...in fact, I was the one who got Midland LMR engineering to cough up the hex edits in the programmers in the mid80s after my employer, Gulf States Utilities, bought over $2million of LB radios from them on my suggestion (we used the UHF crossband rptr option in the STIIs since LB HTs didnt cut it..we beta tested the first 70-0500 with the xband option)....had the first XTR on 6m within 30 mins...40mins later, I'm working a guy in Wisconsin mobile.....
The NBs in the commercial gear makes a Yaesu FT8900, etc look horrible on 6m rcv....I have such but for real 6m FM fun, I'll take my Midlands or KW LMR radios anyday....

Chris WB5ITT
Trustee W5APX

KC0CCB

As noted above, a NMO150 Larsen works as a base loaded 6m quarter wave and actually radiates better than a NMO-50 cut to 6!! The whip is longer and the loss through the matching coil is less....I've ran NMO-150s on 6m for DECADES..... as to using an Azden, etc on 6 FM, the commercial LMR stuff like KW, Midland, etc have NBs that ham gear does NOT....you'll appreciate it on cold dry days or driving near noisy electrical lines...I've ran Midland XTR and SyntechIIs on 6m since the mid80s...in fact, I was the one who got Midland LMR engineering to cough up the hex edits in the programmers in the mid80s after my employer, Gulf States Utilities, bought over $2million of LB radios from them on my suggestion (we used the UHF crossband rptr option in the STIIs since LB HTs didn't cut it..we beta tested the first 70-0500 with the xband option)....had the first XTR on 6m within 30 mins...40mins later, I'm working a guy in Wisconsin mobile.....
The NBs in the commercial gear makes a Yaesu FT8900, etc look horrible on 6m rcv....I have such but for real 6m FM fun, I'll take my Midlands or KW LMR radios any day....

Chris WB5ITT
Trustee W5APX
i'm looking for to have the radio as a base station with that new antenna i have.. is there a good solution there to have a 1/4 wave 3/8 x 24 antenna on 6m..?

wd8chl

i think it'd be faster and cheaper on me to find a Azden or a regular 6 meter Ham Rig that's got PL and DCS in it (but mostly PL for the local stuff i got)

I had an Azden 6M rig a number of years ago. I got rid of it after a few years. The rx on it was not what I would call good, or even OK. Less than what I consider normal sensitivity, poor squelch action, and poor noise and intermod rejection. I don't remember the model number now though.