• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-880 firmware compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
I have three KENWOOD TK-880-1 radios. I notice on power up they display "V 1.5209" for firmware version. These were on a passport system. So, some questions: I have KPG-56D V 4.01 software. I have FPRO. At present, I do not have the SJ software. I only need to program GMRS conventional frequencies and squelch codes in, no trunking. I need the proper firmware version to "downgrade" the firmware so KPG-56D will program the radios. What fimrware version do I need? Or in the alternative, is there KENWOOD software, (not Scholer-Johnson) that will work with this firmware? I have programmed TK-880's before (not recently though). I have the cable. Thanks for reading.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can change the frimware to a normal no SJ version, provided you can get into the firmware programming by holding down one of the keys (D?) while powering it up Radio will display prog 57600.

I do not have the most version # in front of me as I'm not at the shop.

You will need KPG49D to program the TK-880 radio, KPG-56D will not work.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I said KPG-56. I have it but I also have the proper KPG-49D software. I have read so many posts/forums/rants about these radios today I forgot which software I was talking about!!! I have FPRO so now I just need the proper firmware. Thanks for your response. Bob

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
I also now have KPG-63D (supposed to be proper sw version for trunking; used with fw 1.5xxx which is what these radios have). If I remember correctly, KPG-63D will allow conventional as well as trunked entries. Please correct me if this is incorrect. And yes, I would also like to obtain the proper FW for use with KPG-49D. Thanks for your insight.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
I was able to read two of these radios today with KPG-49D. I was able to write to them, but got the message stating they are not version 2 and some features won't work. No xmit power out. One shows it's trying to transmit (got signal into my handheld). Other? Gonna have to dig deeper. I'll check for proper drive level at the input pin of the power "brick". If it's there, I'll pop the cover off and use a magnifying glass to try to spot the hairline crack in the solder land that sometimes plagues these radios and some Kenwood ham radios too (TM-231,TM-241 come to mind). If you no where to get the fw for version 1, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.