• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK3160 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

canyouhelp

Hello can anyone help please.

I have purchased 4 second hand radios to use at the school I work at.

I have 4 Kenwood TK3160 that I need to reprogrammed to a channel and test them all to ensure they work before I buy my licence.

I don't know a lot about the programming side but have a disc with UV3R+ installed and the USB lead to work it.

Can anyone advise on the best way of clearing the radios and reprogrammed.

Thanks

Roy

12dbsinad

I have 4 Kenwood TK3160 that I need to reprogrammed to a channel and test them all to ensure they work before I buy my licence.

I don't know a lot about the programming side but have a disc with UV3R+ installed and the USB lead to work it.

Thanks

Roy

First and foremost you need the correct CPS with the correct programming cable. UV3R+ software? That is for a cheap Baofeng portable and has nothing to do with this Kenwood radio.

canyouhelp

Thanks

The seller you supplied the disc and cable said it would be suitable for this radio.

I have looked on the disc and there is CPS software on there do you know what I should be looking for to install the correct files please?

This is what is on the disc:

UV82_CPS
USBSER-340

There's lots more but none relate to CPS

Thanks

Roy

12dbsinad

The seller you supplied the disc and cable said it would be suitable for this radio.

I have looked on the disc and there is CPS software on there do you know what I should be looking for to install the correct files please?

This is what is on the disc:

UV82_CPS
USBSER-340

There's lots more but none relate to CPS

Thanks

Roy

The software for those radios are KPG-82D.

What you have looks like UV-82 Baofeng software. Which is completely different.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Thanks

Roy

So, as Sinad said, you need the Kenwood KPG-82DN software and a programming cable to do this. The software you have is not going to work.

You mentioned you were going to use them "at the school I work at", that raises some questions:
What country are you in?
Depending on where you live, these may or may not be the right radios. Usually buying the radios is the last step in setting up a radio system. First step is to get the frequencies assigned by a frequency coordinator and get a license from the government agency that handles radio licensing. That's the Federal Communications Commission here in the USA.
Here in the USA you can't just randomly select a frequency and start using it. A frequency coordination service will need to identify available frequencies that you an use. Once you have that, you can apply for a license with the FCC. The FCC will require the sign off from the frequency coordinator. Applying for an FCC license isn't for the faint of heart. It's not impossible, but it isn't easy, either. Usually it's a good idea to have some one who has done it before process the paperwork.
Might be a good idea to talk to a local radio shop and see what they can do for you. They usually know how to do the frequency coordination, licensing, programming, and radio testing to make sure it's all set up right.

If you have not programmed professional 2 way radios before, you really should get some local help. Since it is very easy to set them up incorrectly or in a way that may cause interference to public safety users, you need to make sure that it's done 100% correctly.
Also, since these are used radios, you really should have them checked out by a competent technician to make sure they are working correctly.

Happy to help you out any way you can.

12dbsinad

So, as Sinad said, you need the Kenwood KPG-82DN software and a programming cable to do this. The software you have is not going to work.

You mentioned you were going to use them "at the school I work at", that raises some questions:
What country are you in?
Depending on where you live, these may or may not be the right radios. Usually buying the radios is the last step in setting up a radio system. First step is to get the frequencies assigned by a frequency coordinator and get a license from the government agency that handles radio licensing. That's the Federal Communications Commission here in the USA.
Here in the USA you can't just randomly select a frequency and start using it. A frequency coordination service will need to identify available frequencies that you an use. Once you have that, you can apply for a license with the FCC. The FCC will require the sign off from the frequency coordinator. Applying for an FCC license isn't for the faint of heart. It's not impossible, but it isn't easy, either. Usually it's a good idea to have some one who has done it before process the paperwork.
Might be a good idea to talk to a local radio shop and see what they can do for you. They usually know how to do the frequency coordination, licensing, programming, and radio testing to make sure it's all set up right.

If you have not programmed professional 2 way radios before, you really should get some local help. Since it is very easy to set them up incorrectly or in a way that may cause interference to public safety users, you need to make sure that it's done 100% correctly.
Also, since these are used radios, you really should have them checked out by a competent technician to make sure they are working correctly.

Happy to help you out any way you can.

I second this. Very informative info.

Status
Not open for further replies.