kern county sherriffs admin channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

hello all , well since the kcso went to using there admin channel (460.575) it has had some major bleedover from guess what the city of hanford's fire dept:confused: , there fire dept is messing up admin in a bad way, does anyone know if they will fix this problem or just be annoyed and keep it the same ?

this is from the rr database
----------------------------------------------------------------
Fire/EMS [] hanford california
Frequency Input License Type Tone CH Description Mode
460.57500 465.57500 KNAQ574 BM 146.2 PL Tactical FM
-------------------------------------------------
Kern, County of
Sheriff []
Frequency Input License Type Tone CH Description Mode
460.57500 465.57500 KVX907 BMR Admin (Countywide) FM
------------------------------------------------
thanks , lee

pfish

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say that the fire department is messing up the frequency. They are fully entitled to use the frequency as they are licensed for it. Skip is always a possibility.

1979lee

well its interupting the kcso dept's communications you can't talk to dispatch without hanford bleeding in , don't the have a pl tone they can use to fix this?
they need to get there staff back up so metro can be reactivated

SCPD

QRT
pfish said:
I wouldn't say that the fire department is messing up the frequency. They are fully entitled to use the frequency as they are licensed for it. Skip is always a possibility.

It would be exceedingly unlikely to have skip on a 450 MHz frequency. The strength of skip is sometimes measured in a term called "muf" or maximum usable frequency. Muf is the highest frequency affected by skip and something over 100 MHz is not very common.

Is there a possibilty that 1979lee is located near the Hanford FD's transmitter and that the bleed over is occuring on his scanner only? Users of KCSO radios tuned to their admin channel may not be experiencing it at all. Commercial radios have far better selectivity than scanners.

Mick

UHF skip

While living in Boise, Idaho in the late 1970's I was able to hear Santa Clara County on some 453 MHz channels. I was astonished at the distance, it was one of those rare instances of UHF skip.

Exsmokey said:
It would be exceedingly unlikely to have skip on a 450 MHz frequency. The strength of skip is sometimes measured in a term called "muf" or maximum usable frequency. Muf is the highest frequency affected by skip and something over 100 MHz is not very common. QUOTE]

Eng74

I know we use to get some good distance when KCFD was on 453.4500. I could get it on my 2067 and then my 2096 at 152 and Interstate 5. Also I new a guy who would like to click a cheif who liked to talk on the radio all of the time for no reason. He was heading towards Stockton in a county car was able click the to the him from there. I know how childish but it was funny, he never did it during during an incident.

SCPD

QRT
Eng74 said:
I know we use to get some good distance when KCFD was on 453.4500. I could get it on my 2067 and then my 2096 at 152 and Interstate 5. Also I new a guy who would like to click a cheif who liked to talk on the radio all of the time for no reason. He was heading towards Stockton in a county car was able click the to the him from there. I know how childish but it was funny, he never did it during during an incident.

Long distances for receive and transmit are common in the Central Valley. It is flat and often times the repeaters are located on high peaks in the Sierra. I was on top of Mt. Charleston near Las Vegas on a work related hike and copied mobiles direct from the San Bernardino National Forest. Their repeater input was the repeater output of the Toiyabe National Forest so I was a "captive audience." This with an old GE brick and rubber duckie antenna in the upper side pocket of my backpack.

I brought up the Mammoth Mountain Inyo National Forest repeater from the Paso Robles fairgrounds using he mobile in my green pickup. I was on the second of three fies on a 20 day assignment and called the Ranger Station in Mammoth for an update on conditions on my home Ranger District. They said they had some trouble copying me due to stratchiness, but understood my request and responded.

The solar max around the late 70's was incredible. I never realized the MUF was up into the 450's during it. I was so busy being amazed by the VHF Low band activity I never bothered to check. Not to metion that there wasn't a whole lot up that high then.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Exsmokey said:
I brought up the Mammoth Mountain Inyo National Forest repeater from the Paso Robles fairgrounds using he mobile in my green pickup. I was on the second of three fies on a 20 day assignment and called the Ranger Station in Mammoth for an update on conditions on my home Ranger District.

Sounds like maybe you were on the Highway 58 fire? I was at that fire camp for several days myself.

Eng74

This kinda off topic but it is Kern County. Anyone getting some other trafic on KCFD Kern 3 right now that is not fire traffic?

1979lee

Is there a possibilty that 1979lee is located near the Hanford FD's transmitter and that the bleed over is occuring on his scanner only? Users of KCSO radios tuned to their admin channel may not be experiencing it at all. Commercial radios have far better selectivity than scanners.[/QUOTE]

hey all ,
iam not the only one hereing the problem , the dispatchers themselves talk about it,
saying things like ( i paul 6 adam ,you were covered by hanford of hanford fire)
the so units are anoyed by this as well.
i live in north central bakersfield, the nearest hanford fire transmitter to me is at least 60 miels away maybe farther. thanks eng74 for the pl tone ,but my pro 2052 dosent allow the use of them ,shame really.

thanks all

SCPD

QRT
Kirk said:
Sounds like maybe you were on the Highway 58 fire? I was at that fire camp for several days myself.

The Highway 58 fire of 1996. We lost it on the south twice while I was there. Then we set one of the best back fires I ever witnessed. The Diablo Canyon 500 KV line was shut off for us and we fired from there. It was a 20,000 acre back fire and finally stopped the main fire which was about 80,000 acres at that time. We pulled this off with only one 60 acre slopover.

Eng74

"hey all ,
iam not the only one hereing the problem , the dispatchers themselves talk about it,
saying things like ( i paul 6 adam ,you were covered by hanford of hanford fire)
the so units are anoyed by this as well.
i live in north central bakersfield, the nearest hanford fire transmitter to me is at least 60 miels away maybe farther. thanks eng74 for the pl tone ,but my pro 2052 dosent allow the use of them ,shame really."
Well if the dispatchers are hearing it the PL tone will not help because they use the same ones. I haven't heard anything when they put the east and west together here on the east side.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting problem. It reminds me of traveling in the middle of the night to a fire in southern California years ago. I had my mobile radio scanning the NIFC group and the southern CA group and thought something was seriously wrong when I began to pick up conversational Spanish on the command channels and on the Angeles channels, interspersed with command and dispatch traffic from the many fires that were active at the time. I know just enough Spanish to know it wasn't business traffic, but two guys shooting the bull. The people on the fires were not acknowledging the Spanish traffic so I thought I was the only one hearing it for some unknown reason. Then I heard someone with an southern accent finally ask "what is all this noise?" It was obviously the question of someone from out of state assigned to a fire in southern CA. The reply came over the repeater "the Julios are at it again tonight."

This was my first introduction to the interference from unregulated Mexican traffic getting into southern CA repeaters and causing some serious problems. I had heard of Mexican people crossing the border into El Paso and buying 2m/70cm ham radios and amplifiers and running 1000 watts on ham channels for their taxi cab businesses so I knew something of the problem. I could not believe they were hitting command and dispatch channels during a major fire event. The safety compromises this was causing were mind boggling.

1979lee

Exsmokey thats something ive never heard about ,( ham radios/mexico taxis),
no wonder most law enforcement agencys went to 800mhz trunking systems down south.

Eng74, no east and west are nice clear channels i really like listening to east all kinds of crazy stuff happens out in the desert, i can get west and west tac, east and east tac,
very clear , the kcfd fire freqs sometimes doo have some problems though its nice to be able to drive the kern river canyon and listen to the kcfd now , unlike the past ,
when i could barley get the orange dispatch or the canyon red channel, though i could get the bakersfield fire metro freq (153.950) well up in to the canyon, heck last night there was a grass fire up on panorama and manor streets here in bakersfield ,and i could get the bfd fire 2 ch (153.950) from about 10 miles south of glennville all the way home
through granite road , witch is known for bad and spotty radio reception on all freqs.
well i hope they activate metro (453.050 again soon
everyone is tired of the recent bleedover from hanford.

i know this is off topic but hey Eng74 i know you live/work in the ridgecrest area , can you recive any radio traffic from inyo county?
like so, fd , chp?

thanks , lee

Eng74

CHP is pretty quit out here. I have never heard Inyo respond to anything. I did just put up a discone antenna up thanks to a RS in Lancaster that is going out. I may have to try them again. We can not get Kern 4 in Ridgecrest it is too close to RPD's channel. So we still miss the east side when Batts 3 and 6 go to 4. Funning thing was I was talking to a BC who worked on the new radio system and telling him I could get Kern 4 in Mojave, Lancaster, and Palmdale. It suprised him because Kern 4 is the one channel that is supposed to only be on the east side. We also don't get to hear the guys when they go to Fire 2 for BFD.

1979lee

Eng74 said:
CHP is pretty quit out here. I have never heard Inyo respond to anything. I did just put up a discone antenna up thanks to a RS in Lancaster that is going out. I may have to try them again. We can not get Kern 4 in Ridgecrest it is too close to RPD's channel. So we still miss the east side when Batts 3 and 6 go to 4. Funning thing was I was talking to a BC who worked on the new radio system and telling him I could get Kern 4 in Mojave, Lancaster, and Palmdale. It suprised him because Kern 4 is the one channel that is supposed to only be on the east side. We also don't get to hear the guys when they go to Fire 2 for BFD.

When i was last out the ridgecrest way , i tryed to get inyo county and they freqs were silent, good pickup on the antenna , how much are they marking things down there?

yeah kern four is a good channel and i have gotten it in those areas as well as kcso's metro, and metro tac, bpd ch 1 , heck i got those in lacounty.sbd cnty line more than once , i can just barely get kern five here in bakersfield though.

thanks

SCPD

QRT
The Inyo County S.O. has a repeater on El Paso Peak on 154.725 and I believe one on 151.025 also, PL 162.2. It is rarely used as it covers just the Peasonville and 9 Mile Canyon Road areas. There isn't much activity in those areas. Several years ago there was an S & R in the 9 Mile Canyon area and the activity on El Paso Peak was heavy for a few days, but then returned to the usual silence. There is another repeater on the south end of the county on a site called Tecopa. It is fairly low level and just south of the Tecopa/Shoshone area. Topography keeps it from being heard to the west and south.

The nearest repeater with activity would be on Cerro Gordo, east of the Owens Dry Lake. The mountains north of Ridgecrest on the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station no doubt block any signal. Most S.O. activity is on the Silver Peak repeater (east of Bishop) and on Mazourka (northeast of Independence).

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Inyo SO

I was a deputy sheriff in Trona for three years (1990-93) and even back then, Inyo SO's Roger's repeater was used very little. They also have (had?) an EMS repeater on the same tower, and that one saw more activity.

The whole south area was covered by a resident K9 deputy in Olancha, and more often than not, I covered all the way up to Panamint Ghost Town for them because I was closer. I'm not sure if KCSO did the same for them along 395, or if the Olancha deputy ran down the highway for calls in Pearsonville...

1979lee

nice info guys , didn't think about the altitude of the hills to the north, i have the same problem with getting tulare county to my north. when i go about five miles to the east bam! TULARE COUNTY!!.

dont know about the kcso patroling in inyo cnty

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.