Key Box Detail

frankie811

When listening to the East Providence FD, I frequently hear a piece of apparatus being dispatched to a location (usually commercial) for a key box detail. Exactly what does that entail? I also hear calls for a lock box detail. Are they the same?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Yes. By fire code, buildings with commercial alarm systems have heavily re-enforced lock boxes outside of the building doors, that can only be opened by the fire department. These boxes contain building keys and sometimes codes. Because the fire department is the only one with the key(s) to these boxes, if a building owner changes the locks, door codes, etc., they need to have a fire detail come by the building to open the box, so the building employee or owner can change out those keys. You've seen those boxes, they're black and about 12" square with a flap over the door. Local fire code requires that the owners keep these keys up to date.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You've seen those boxes, they're black and about 12" square with a flap over the door. Local fire code requires that the owners keep these keys up to date.

frankie811

Yes. By fire code, buildings with commercial alarm systems have heavily re-enforced lock boxes outside of the building doors, that can only be opened by the fire department. These boxes contain building keys and sometimes codes. Because the fire department is the only one with the key(s) to these boxes, if a building owner changes the locks, door codes, etc., they need to have a fire detail come by the building to open the box, so the building employee or owner can change out those keys. You've seen those boxes, they're black and about 12" square with a flap over the door. Local fire code requires that the owners keep these keys up to date.
Thank you. I've often wondered how the FD could gain access to a building when a fire alarm sounds after hours.