KG-TONE CTCSS/DCS/DTMF Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I happened across this software, and it seems to be doing a reasonably good job of decoding CTCSS and DCS subaudible tones.

http://www2.plala.or.jp/hikokibiyori/soft/kgtone/index.html

It is pretty self-explanatory to set up using the FM detector option, and it should work with any receiver/scanner that has a discriminator tap, as well as the RTL2832U dongle (which is how I'm testing it) using Virtual Audio Cable or VB Audio Virtual Cable.

It does better with CTCSS than DCS but that could just be a matter of the proper audio balance. Instructions are in Japanese as is the website but you won't need to use them as it's very simple.

Another nice feature I've discovered with this software is that it very nicely passes the unfiltered audio to DSD, and also passes audio of the received signals to your PC speakers. In SDR-Radio I set the playback device to my virtual audio cable (or the free VB Audio Virtual Cable), and then KG-TONE passes the audio. There doesn't appear to be any degradation in DSD performance. When I want to monitor a digital signal I just turn down KG-TONE's volume. When it's analog I keep KG-TONE's volume level at mid-range and it shows the subaudible tone and passes the audio like a champ. I don't see why the same couldn't be accomplished using a discriminator tap from a scanner. Want analog audio? Keep the scanner volume up. Using DSD? Turn down the scanner volume and turn up your PC speakers.

Neat little program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.