• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-36X Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

RWilliams500

I have a Kenwood KPG-36X. It worked the last time I used it, which was a year or so ago. But now plugging it in, Device Manger shows Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've uninstalled the device, the drivers in Add/Remove software. I downloaded new drivers from Kenwood. I downloaded what I THINK is the right generic stuff from Silicon labs. Nothing fixes it. This is a Windows 11 system. Any advice so that I can use my cable and programming software once more would be appreciated.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
This seems obvious, but is the radio on?

I think that, with the radios that require the switch to be in the USB position, there is no circuitry required in the cable – the radio is a USB device and the cable just runs the right wires to it from the PC USB jack. This thread talked about that in regards to the KPG-46X (the mobile cable), which I've built and verified to work.

[Add] The KPG-36X manual (RQ070) has the pinouts on page 3.

RWilliams500

Yes, the radio is on. I don't know anything about the pins. This is an official Kenwood cable. I feel like it might be a driver issue. But I have no idea how to contact Kenwood about this.

jasej

Hi !

The original Kenwood cable uses the CHIP called CP2102 and until now, it has been enough to read and write NX5000 series devices.

You should not have a problem if you have downloaded the necessary and correct Kenwood drivers for your computer, type of architecture in your operating systems, software and hardware,,,!

Remember, the drivers for the CP2102 CHIP are installed first and then locate the port that was automatically selected and thus, you can work with the original Kenwood cable

Regards

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Try uninstalling the driver and then reboot the computer. Then reinstall the driver and try connecting it back to the computer.
You may try to download from the companies website. Maybe there is a new driver for the cable.
Rob

RWilliams500

I have tried every USB port on the computer, no change. I have tried other devices (like keyboard and mouse) in the USB ports, they all work. I have uninstalled the driver, restarted the PC, and reinstalled. No joy. I have installed the drivers from the CD that came with the cable, the drivers downloaded from Kenwoods site, and what I think are generic drivers from Silicon labs. No fix.

In desperation, I brought in a laptop and plugged the cable in after installing the drivers from CD. Worked just fine. So, no idea what conflict is going on in the first computer I'm using, but it looks like it's just something I'll have to accept as never being fixed.