• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-D1N Slow Response (Not Responding) Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Hello Group,

I am running the Kenwood KPG-D1N software on my Lenovo Yoga 2.11 laptop which is running Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. It has an Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 2.16 GHz x64 Based Processor and 4 GB of RAM.

I have absolutely NO issues running other KPG programs such as the KPG-111, 129, 141 or 150. However, I am having slow response and no response issues with this D1N software.

For anyone else who has the KPG-D1N software I would like to ask if you are experiencing the same issues that I am, and if not, I would like to ask what you have for hardware and/or software configuration. I have mentioned the issues I am experiencing to Kenwood and they tell me I am the first to report this. I am trying to figure out if this is a software or hardware issue. I haven't gotten fully involved in this software to know if the following are the only issues, but my initial observations are as follows.

1. Once the program initially opens showing the general layout and light blue information box, the mouse pointer arrow changes to a rotating white circle for about one to two minutes, and until the circle goes away and changes back to a mouse pointer arrow, I am unable to do anything further, I have to wait.

2. The entering of frequencies into the input box is slow, digits do not show up instantly after typing in each digit, there is delay from the time i type on the keypad to the time it shows up on the screen in the box. If I type in the entire frequency all at once, the first one or two digits will show up right away, but there is a substantial delay in the rest of the digits showing up.

3. Changing radio data or model information takes about 2 to 3 minutes before I am able to continue using the program. Its like it has a hard time 'processing' the information and has to pay 'catch up'.

4. If I try to select with the mouse pointer several different 'items' too quickly, in the upper left corner i will see "Not Responding" message. Once that happens everything stops responding and I have to wait at least a couple of minutes for the message to go away and the program to start responding again.

Thank you,
Doug

opelgtalex

KPG-1D is a resource heavy program, unlike any of the previous KPG programs that you may be used to using. It runs slow on my laptop as well, not as bad as from what you mention.
I am running Win 7 (32 bit), 2GB of RAM, 1.4GHz processor.
Program takes about 3 minutes to start up +/-
To open a previous DAT file takes about 4 minutes- longer than the boot time of the program.
To save a DAT file takes about 30 seconds
Frequency entry and any of the other System personality entry is slow, not as slow as the issues you are having- e.g. frequency entry for just a RX takes about 10 seconds, and then 10 seconds or so for TX Frequency entry, its not instant.
Its a little frustrating to edit or create new DAT files due to the time it takes, especially looking at the minimum system requirements.
This is my observations of the software after having it for over a year now.
-Alex

dapaq2

I am using KPG-D1NK version 2.01, released in October 2016. I would have also edited my original post to include that additional information but RadioReference decided to not allow the editing of posts after so many minutes elapse after the initial post!

MSS-Dave

I am using KPG-D1NK version 2.01, released in October 2016. I would have also edited my original post to include that additional information but RadioReference decided to not allow the editing of posts after so many minutes elapse after the initial post!
Any chance you ran an earlier version on the same computer? If so, any difference in performance? I'm using 2.01 on a Win 7 Pro Sp1 32 bit with Intel Core Duo 2 2.53 Ghz processor with 4 Gb of RAM. Program opens from start in 30 seconds then 1 minute to open codeplug with conventional and a large Type 1 trunking system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dapaq2

Version 2.01 is the only version I have ever used on my Lenovo computer.

Actually 30 seconds just to open the D1NK program (and then another 60 seconds to open the .dat file) is a long time, especially compared to the amount of time that the other KPG programs normally take to do the same thing. My D1NK program opens up right away as soon as I click on the icon to launch the program and does not take 30 seconds like you mention for yours, Where the delay is for me is after D1NK opens it shows the white rotating circle where the mouse pointer usually is displayed and I cannot do anything until it returns from a circle to a regular mouse pointer. It sounds like you may be experiencing some delay issues with your D1N program too and just not realize it.

Thinking out loud to myself, I have to wonder why so many people have their signature enabled in their cell phones advertising the make/model and the Tapatalk phone app...

opelgtalex

I have been a user of KPG-1D since release 1.62, which was about ~14 months or so- have been running 2.01 since its release date.
If anything the software has gotten less buggy and faster since the earlier releases, would love to see it better than it is just like Doug.
My most populated file is for the 5800 which has conventional only p25, DMR, and analog, total of about 100 channels. I got used to the slow response because once a DAT file is loaded, its not bad except for some of the frequency entry.
I have only 2 other people I know that use KPG-1D and they both experience about the same performance from theirs.

dapaq2

opelgtalex thank you for the additional information.

Group, It appears that I am not the only person experiencing issues with this software program and it may very well be a software related issue and not a hardware related issue as I was initially thinking it might have been. Hopefully Kenwood will recognize that there may be a problem with their software and look into it to see if it can be made to run smoother and quicker than it currently is.

If there is anyone else who owns a copy of the KPG-D1NK software I ask that you please share your experiences with us on use of the software and what equipment and software configuration you are using to run KPG-D1NK.

As info, the correct model/part number for the NX-5000 series programming software is KPG-D1NK and covers radio models NX-5200, NX-5300, NX-5400, NX-5700, NX-5800 and NX-5900.

Thank you,
Doug

Last edited:

jrw14493

The software is horrendously slow, I will give you that. Haven't gotten much response from Kenwood on when it will get fixed either.

I do keep hearing that Moto APX software is just as bad. Like I care...

customcomm

Premium Subscriber
Guidance Needed

Does anyone have or know where a copy of this software can be purchased ive called two dealers and neither can get me a copy

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
There are a couple of us on here who work with dealers at ham rate. Buddy, or I can get you quotes.

As for the slowness. It is a very intense MEMORY HUG and CPU working software program...
Sad to say, there is now real time fix. The complexity of the software and what it can do is to say
the least, HUGE. Trust me, I have yet found anything over 16 GB ram and 4 Ghz CPU that can load
the program in less than 5 minutes.
Just saying....

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Version 2.10 is out at this time. Still waiting to hear on the next release. Right now hard to say, no word yet what it will have for fixes.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
Version 2.10 is out at this time. Still waiting to hear on the next release. Right now hard to say, no word yet what it will have for fixes.

May be a dumb question, but how do you upgrade your software. AND how does a person upgrade firmware on NX-5000 series?

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
May be a dumb question, but how do you upgrade your software. AND how does a person upgrade firmware on NX-5000 series?

Kenwood should put customers first and never frustrate them unnecessarily. Bug fix should always be free and easily obtained.

I also don't know software update policy either. Do you just repurchase it over and over again?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, should not be a big problem. Software I would think not, firmware update is just like a bench repair, some dealers charge, some don't, cant speak for them all.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood should put customers first and never frustrate them unnecessarily. Bug fix should always be free and easily obtained.

I also don't know software update policy either. Do you just repurchase it over and over again?

It is not Kenwood it is the Dealer. The software and Firmware is on the the Kenwood Site FOR KENWOOD DEALERS. As stated above it is your Dealer that you deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.