KSICS multi-site issue with the SDS 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Is just me or does the SDS-200 have Multi-site issues? I’ve tried just every trick I know to get my SDS-200 to pick up all traffic, on the two sites I’m scanning,

With squelch set at 2 or 3, I’m getting a -50 dBm signal on both sites with filters off, which If I understand it right is very good.

I’ve checked the noise level both sites run 200 to 300.

I’ve played with all the filter settings setting it at Invert I’m getting a -85 to -100 dBm signal, and I hear more traffic, however, UID rarely shows the current talker.

I removed all but the active CC channel, which seemed to help some.

I have a 1-second hold on the site and the TG.

What's got me stumped my SDS 100 and BCD536HP pick more traffic than the SDS 200 does on Multi-site.

Am I missing something?

I’ve looked before I posted anything just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
For starters, are the antenna on all 3 scanners the same and are the scanners pretty much in the same area?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
No, the SDS200 doesn't have simulcast issues like Uniden scanners prior to the sds series have.

Do you have the latest firmware update?

They aren't perfect.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
For starters, are the antenna on all 3 scanners the same and are the scanners pretty much in the same area?
Sorry, I failed to mention that, Yes, they are.

And on the SDS-100, I'm not using filters, and have the CC & ACC programmed into it, and I'm getting -85 to -90 dBM and about 200 to 300 on the noise if that helps.

I also tried with the NAC on and off.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
No, the SDS200 doesn't have simulcast issues like Uniden scanners prior to the sds series have.

Do you have the latest firmware update?

They aren't perfect.
When I get back home, I will need to check the verison it has, when I checked for an update on the firmware neither the SDS-100 or 200 shows and update is needed.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 and SDS200 programming are different and have created separate favorite lists for the same system.

On Starcom, I also scan 2 sites from my home location. Each site has 700mhz frequencies and have noticed using the attenuator and Wide Invert provides the best decode. On the SDS100, I don't use the attenuator.

As far as UID capture, if it happens to be a Phase 2 system, this has been a common and well documented issue since the x36hp scanners. Despite my numerous bug files I sent previously, it has yet to be resolved.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at KSICS in the database. It's a P25 II system.

Very similar to Colorado's DTRS system (except Colorado is P25 phase 1). On my SDS200 (with GPS) I have all 100+ sites in my home favorite list and have location control turned on. The 100+ sites that are outside my range aren't even scanned so nothing is slowed down and when I drive across the state, zero issues. Driving I-70 across Kansas (using nationwide data base and service types) I have no issues with reception of there either.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at KSICS in the database. It's a P25 II system.

Very similar to Colorado's DTRS system (except Colorado is P25 phase 1). On my SDS200 (with GPS) I have all 100+ sites in my home favorite list and have location control turned on. The 100+ sites that are outside my range aren't even scanned so nothing is slowed down and when I drive across the state, zero issues. Driving I-70 across Kansas (using nationwide data base and service types) I have no issues with reception of there either.
There is a well known problem with Phase 2 talkgroups UID capture. It was mentioned before that it had something to do with the "timing" which a firmware update was required to resolve it. In addition to that, on a busier system, these scanners have a difficult time when both conversations are occurring on different slots on the same frequency. It mimicks two radios trying to key up at the same time sound..garbled etc. The issue doesn't occur on Cap+, Con+, or NXDN trunking systems. UPMan and I were exchanging debug files in messages and the engineering staff was aware of the issue and was told it was being worked on. So unfortunately, if the talkgroups that are having UID capture issues happen to be Phase 2, no resolution is available at this time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
With squelch set at 2 or 3, I’m getting a -50 dBm signal on both sites with filters off, which If I understand it right is very good.
A -50 signal is extremely strong. You may be overloading the receiver. Turn on the attenuator. Do you have any powerful transmitters near to you?

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
A -50 signal is extremely strong. You may be overloading the receiver. Turn on the attenuator. Do you have any powerful transmitters near to you?

I had tried that in the past, no help on it. None that I'm aware of.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
There is a well known problem with Phase 2 talkgroups UID capture. It was mentioned before that it had something to do with the "timing" which a firmware update was required to resolve it. In addition to that, on a busier system, these scanners have a difficult time when both conversations are occurring on different slots on the same frequency. It mimicks two radios trying to key up at the same time sound..garbled etc. The issue doesn't occur on Cap+, Con+, or NXDN trunking systems. UPMan and I were exchanging debug files in messages and the engineering staff was aware of the issue and was told it was being worked on. So unfortunately, if the talkgroups that are having UID capture issues happen to be Phase 2, no resolution is available at this time.

As for as I know they are phase 2 capable, but mainly still Phase 1.

It might some kind software issue then.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I had tried that in the past, no help on it. None that I'm aware of.

The -50 perked my interest here also.
That is abnormally high.
Parked under the transmitter high.

Are you sure ALL your filters are off?
Just because you set it to off in global, doesn't mean individual sites have them off.

Do you have the 100 and the 200 connected up to the same Stridsberg?
(What multicoupler are you using)?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
OK, where I live (Colorado) the state DTRS is all phase I. About 4 times a year I drive across Interstate 70 in Kansas end to end and have no issues receiving the Kansas state wide system (KSICS) which is shown as a Phase II system. I only listen to service types law, fire and ems (all 3 subsets). This is on my SDS200 attached to a Larsen Tri-Band NMO fender mounted with the sds200 being controlled by gps location with a 10 mile range setting.

I am not disputing the OP's experience at all, I was just reporting MY experience with the Kansas system.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As for as I know they are phase 2 capable, but mainly still Phase 1.

It might some kind software issue then.
I agree on the attenuator suggestion, but try Wide Invert at the site level first. Very strong signal, doubtful if it's firmware related since it only applies to Phase 2 talkgroups. (P25P2 Slot1/2 flashes if it's a Phase 2 talkgroup.)

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
That is abnormally high.

Just because you set it to off in global, doesn't mean individual sites have them off.

I'm not using a multicoupler, they are on separate antennas.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I agree on the attenuator suggestion, but try Wide Invert at the site level first. Very strong signal, doubtful if it's firmware related since it only applies to Phase 2 talkgroups. (P25P2 Slot1/2 flashes if it's a Phase 2 talkgroup.)

I did/have tried that it kills the signal to the point it will not pick up anything.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
That is abnormally high.

The nearest transmitter is 10 air miles away, the second one is 18 miles away,

I double-checked everwhere, and they were off, I applied the Invert to each site only, and it did help some the signal is -85.

No, I don't. I have no issue with the 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.