KSICS multi-site issue with the SDS 200

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I did/have tried that it kills the signal to the point it will not pick up anything.
The signal is causing overload to the SDS200. To apply an attenuation to a -50db signal that "kills the signal" is very surprising. Are you applying it to only the site you're having issues with? Have to tried the Filter(s) at the site level only with attenuation combination? Firmware issue is doubtful, and might try using the stock antenna with attenuation and filters next.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I think you have a problem internally - it is in the radio itself somewhere.
-50 just isn't right - period.

Something / somewhere is wrong.
Tale the radio away from every possiblke cause of RFI, including all the other radios.
Still have the problem?
Send it in to Uniden.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I think you have a problem internally - it is in the radio itself somewhere.
-50 just isn't right - period.

Something / somewhere is wrong.
Tale the radio away from every possiblke cause of RFI, including all the other radios.
Still have the problem?
Send it in to Uniden.

Deleted comment

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Update, as a last resort, I did a full reset of my SDS 200, and copied the data from SDS 100 to the SDS 200, using a 2-second hold and a 2-second delay on 3 sites.

That seemed to correct the issue, I'm getting -85 to 100 dB depending on the site. 90% of the time it's showing the UID now.

Not sure what happen, maybe at some point I load an update under the BCDx36hp mode and did not realize it.

Perhaps another issue I did not think about, on my 436/536 I use a hold time of 0 seconds on multi-site, which was to fast for the SDS-series to decode everything.

Thank you for all the input.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I use a hold time of 0 seconds on multi-site, which was to fast for the SDS-series to decode everything.

I'd suggest 0 hold time - trust me, it is not too fast.
Remember, in these SDS radios, the radio 'listens' to each site for X milliseconds (even if set to 0).
(Ubbe can tell you how much - I think it's 450ms).

And, while it is doing this "listening", it is missing anything else going on on any other site.
You want it to listen and if no channel grant is put out, move on to the next to maximize scanning speed.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I failed to mention that, Yes, they are.

And on the SDS-100, I'm not using filters, and have the CC & ACC programmed into it, and I'm getting -85 to -90 dBM and about 200 to 300 on the noise if that helps.

I also tried with the NAC on and off.
My SDS 100 used to be slower than a snail on Librium. However, I made some changes, hold time was one of them. The game-changer for me was the restructuring of my Favorites.

In a dense scanning environment like Dallas or Houston, I check to see if the sites have a NAC code. I set my profile to "use site NAC."

I try to avoid stacking multiple trunked systems in a Favorite unless I've programmed a trip.

In Dallas, I have around 4 trunked systems for that county. Since I am traveling through, I am not that interested in micro-monitoring. I just want the juicy stuff. Some of the time, I will set up a LE Special Ops Favorite listing tactical, federal, vice, narcotics, etc.

When I got to a destination city with a dense scanning environment, like Houston, my Favorites become much more specific.

I also stack my talk groups below designated sites.

I stack conventional frequencies as well and try to completely avoid analog conventional frequencies. They drive me nuts.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest 0 hold time - trust me, it is not too fast.
Remember, in these SDS radios, the radio 'listens' to each site for X milliseconds (even if set to 0).
(Ubbe can tell you how much - I think it's 450ms).

And, while it is doing this "listening", it is missing anything else going on on any other site.
You want it to listen and if no channel grant is put out, move on to the next to maximize scanning speed.

I did do that last after I did the reset of everything.

It's decoding UID about 90% of the time now which was better than it was.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
My SDS 100 used to be slower than a snail on Librium. However, I made some changes, hold time was one of them. The game-changer for me was the restructuring of my Favorites.

After reloading the profile data from my SDS-100 to my SDS-200 via Sential software, it has a hold time of 0 seconds, I'm scanning 3 sites with the Invert filter on, and I have a 2-second hold on the 3 Talk Groups in this group, the issue I was having seemed to be correct about as good as it can be with 90% time UID being displayed properly.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I try to avoid stacking multiple trunked systems in a Favorite unless I've programmed a trip.

In Dallas, I have around 4 trunked systems for that county. Since I am traveling through, I am not that interested in micro-monitoring. I just want the juicy stuff. Some of the time, I will set up a LE Special Ops Favorite listing tactical, federal, vice, narcotics, etc.

I’ve I think I’ve got a nice grouping of what I want to listen to at home or out and about using quick keys.

I carry my SDS-100 whenever I’m out and about and mainly listen to Highway Patrol.

At home, I’ve got 6 of them dedicated to specific departments, in 2 rooms.

My now-deceased wife used to laughing ask Do I have enough scanners yet?

Ubbe

With squelch set at 2 or 3, I’m getting a -50 dBm signal on both sites with filters off, which If I understand it right is very good.

I’ve checked the noise level both sites run 200 to 300.

I’ve played with all the filter settings setting it at Invert I’m getting a -85 to -100 dBm signal, and I hear more traffic, however, UID rarely shows the current talker.
The signal measurement are done over a wide frequency range, something like +/-5MHz and not at just the monitored frequency. It doesn't work in the same way as in other scanners. The invert filter seems to be the correct one to use as you then filter off the interfering transmitters and the signal shows more of the actual signal you are monitoring.

When trying filters then use the D-error value. Configure one field to show "Digital Error Count". The Noise value are used when you try and filter analog systems. Errors should be as few as possible, and disregard any signal strength values, and for analog system the Noise should be the lowest value, but will vary and increase when someone speaks so are a bit difficult to evaluate.

The attenuator in the scanner has 33dB attenuation of the signal at VHF and 22dB in the 800MHz band. Using the attenuator when the signal are -85dBm will make it disappear in the background noise.

A suitable way to test out different filters, and also test all filters again but with IFX added to all frequencies, are to look for the weakest signal, where interfering transmitters that triggers the signal strength detector are at a minimum, and the lowest D-error for digital systems and lowest Noise for analog systems.

/Ubbe

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I’ve I think I’ve got a nice grouping of what I want to listen to at home or out and about using quick keys.

I carry my SDS-100 whenever I’m out and about and mainly listen to Highway Patrol.

At home, I’ve got 6 of them dedicated to specific departments, in 2 rooms.

My now-deceased wife used to laughing ask Do I have enough scanners yet?

I carry my SDS 100 everywhere, including Church. I once walked into my late father's Church in Big Spring, Texas. I already knew the Pastor liked scanners, but when I mentioned the cost, he said his wife nipped that in the bud.

One Sunday, when I was visiting that Godforsaken city, the pastor observed my scanner and asked about it. I told him if he started to bore me, I would turn it on. We had a laugh.

Good for you! I worked in TDCJ for twenty-two years. We deserve to sit back and listen, don't we? I would rather listen to crooks than deal with them on a daily basis.

Kansas has a very impressive statewide trunked system. I was quite impressed when I monitored it. Like MOSWIN in MO and OKWIN in OK, it is relatively seamless.

In post 28, I don't understand this: "2-second hold on the 3 Talk Groups in this group." Are you talking about a "delay" on the talk groups?

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
The signal measurement are done over a wide frequency range, something like +/-5MHz and not at just the monitored frequency. It doesn't work in the same way as in other scanners. The invert filter seems to be the correct one to use as you then filter off the interfering transmitters and the signal shows more of the actual signal you are monitoring.

When trying filters then use the D-error value. Configure one field to show "Digital Error Count". The Noise value are used when you try and filter analog systems. Errors should be as few as possible, and disregard any signal strength values, and for analog system the Noise should be the lowest value, but will vary and increase when someone speaks so are a bit difficult to evaluate.

The attenuator in the scanner has 33dB attenuation of the signal at VHF and 22dB in the 800MHz band. Using the attenuator when the signal are -85dBm will make it disappear in the background noise.

A suitable way to test out different filters, and also test all filters again but with IFX added to all frequencies, are to look for the weakest signal, where interfering transmitters that triggers the signal strength detector are at a minimum, and the lowest D-error for digital systems and lowest Noise for analog systems.

/Ubbe

Thank you for the explanation, that is really helpful, I will do more fine-tuning.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
In post 28, I don't understand this: "2-second hold on the 3 Talk Groups in this group." Are you talking about a "delay" on the talk groups?

What I meant to say was a 2-second delay on the 3 Talk groups I monitor in this group.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
What I meant to say was a 2-second delay on the 3 Talk groups I monitor in this group.
That is why I asked. There used to be a fellow who made an internal GPS for Uniden radios. I cannot recall his name. He was the one who suggested a 3-4 second delay.

So, when I set mine to 4 seconds, it does not generally drop the transmission. For some odd reason, I set this on my 436HP and SDS 100. It works well; however, Killeen Dispatch does not delay like the others despite the fact I set it for 4 seconds.

However, most of the talk groups do just fine. Previously, I it was quite problematic combined with the fact I had a 4 sec. hold time. I found out later, I had things rather screwed up.

Thank God these radios are running great.

God bless.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
After doing so find tuning with all of the advice, I found the sweet spot, with 2 of the 3 sites the Invert filter set and the other one the the filter is off. I've got a 2-second site hold, along with a 2-second Talk Group delay, I'm now getting 96% UID.

Thank you all for the advice.

Happy scanning!