• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Laird BB4504CR issues ( again )

mbnv992

So - a little over a year ago the base mount to my Laird UHF antenna ( mentioned in the title ) had its base cracked ( Laird replaced it under warranty ) I’ve had another issue.

This time - the little nub in the middle of this one that’s supposed to be spring supported in the middle - lost it’s spring so now it’s just kinda there but doesn’t have the spring retention.

Antenna still operates fine but is it safe to use it in its condition ?

Kinda disappointed in Laird quality. Anyone ever experience this with Laird before ? Wonder if they’ll cover this under warranty as well ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Antenna still operates fine but is it safe to use it in its condition ?

I wouldn't rely on it. The spring tension being gone may result in an intermittent connection, especially in a mobile environment with vibration.

Kinda disappointed in Laird quality. Anyone ever experience this with Laird before ? Wonder if they’ll cover this under warranty as well ?

I've had good experience with the few Laird antennas I have, but they've all been 1/2 wave VHF with a spring at the base of the whip. Have not had the base cracking issues personally, but I've heard about it from others frequently enough to be concerned.

Can't say I have ever had any issues with the Larsen or EM Wave that I've owned. If Laird has replaced it once under warranty, you could always try again, or cut your losses and try another brand.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Laird went through some quality control issues early last year with their antennae and mag-mounts. I'm still buying Laird products and I haven't experienced any issues lately.

mbnv992

Correct antenna model number is BB4505CS not CR. Looked up my post about this antenna and it was February of 2022 that The Antenna Farm replaced the base of this antenna under warranty. I contacted them again and I think they are going to help me again with yet another replacement base for this. I’ve attached a picture below ( note how the middle “nub” that’s supposed to be spring loaded - is not “sprung out” - but is just loosely there since somehow ( no idea how ) the spring retention gave away to that center nub ).
IMG_6391.jpeg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve attached a picture below ( note how the middle “nub” that’s supposed to be spring loaded - is not “sprung out” - but is just loosely there since somehow ( no idea how ) the spring retention gave away to that center nub ).

Larsen started using those "pogo pins" on some of their newer antennas. I watch mine closely as I've seen other brands that use that design fail. The 800MHz antennas we had when I first started this job had them, and they were a very common failure. I got in the habit of just replacing them whenever I found one, whether it was working or not.
I'm really hoping Larsen designed theirs well.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I run the same antenna on both my jeeps and have not run into that issue. Both are almost 5 years old and get alot of abuse so surprised you had one crack. I run some laird on my work truck also but all are fine. Hopefully you just got a few bad ones.

12dbsinad

Haven't had good luck with quality control and product availability since they got bought out by TE. Been using more EM Wave products now.