Laveen

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help me figure out which Sheriff District/fire apparatus is used in Laveen? I've checked the apparatus call sign cheat sheet many times, but I've never seen any reference to Laveen Fire District. I know they're unincorporated and they even have their own website, but any support would be valuable.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
MCSO D2
&
Laveen Fire is part of Phoenix Regional Fire on their VHF & 700Mhz

KB7MIB

The Laveen Fire District was absorbed by the City of Phoenix Fire Department years ago. The former Laveen fire station 111 is now Phoenix fire station 58, located at 4718 W. Dobbins Rd.

Their primary channel assignments will be Phoenix FD A-9 for fire and hazmat calls, and Phoenix FD K-9 for medical and all other calls.

John
Peoria

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
The Laveen Fire District was absorbed by the City of Phoenix Fire Department years ago. The former Laveen fire station 111 is now Phoenix fire station 58, located at 4718 W. Dobbins Rd.

Their primary channel assignments will be Phoenix FD A-9 for fire and hazmat calls, and Phoenix FD K-9 for medical and all other calls.

John
Peoria
Any idea as to when the "swallow" happened? I always thought they were separate because, to my knowledge, Laveen is unincorporated.

KB7MIB

I don't recall, no.
I can ask on the Arizona Scanner Enthusiasts Facebook page, and see if anyone there knows.

John
Peoria

DanRollman

Database Admin
One answer I got said over 10 years ago, another said early 2000's, so close to 20 years ago.

John
Peoria

A footnote on the document https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/6519741882.pdf suggests it was no later than 2005 (though ignore the reference to 'merger' - the author of that footnote clearly doesn't understand the difference between a formal merger and provision of services under an IGA). Which makes sense. I lived in the Valley from 1999-2002 and Laveen was separate for most or all of that time. It was station 111. As others have noted, the fire district (as a governmental agency) still exists, but that is primarily to collect property taxes in the county portion of Laveen and pay those amounts over to the City of Phoenix in exchange for the services that Engine 58 now provides to the properties that are outside the City of Phoenix but within the Laveen Fire District.

These sorts of arrangements are not new. Just as Laveen Fire District levies a tax but contracts with Phoenix Fire to cover properties within its district, the town of Youngtown levies a fire tax but pays it over to Sun City for contract fire services.

A number of fire districts in Pima County are technically government bodies but practically nothing more than a 'board' with the power to levy taxes and pay them over to Rural Metro for contract services. This includes Tanque Verde Valley Fire District, Tucson County Club Estates Fire District (not to be confused with Tucson Estates Fire District, which provided its own services for a time, then contracted with Drexel Heights to provide services, and finally merger with Drexel Heights), Hidden Valley Fire District, and Sabino Vista Fire District. Like so many of the independent fire departments that have spun out Rural Metro, Mountain Vista Fire District previously contracted with Rural Metro (Mountain Vista Fire District itself absorbed Linda Vista Fire District, North Ranch Fire District and others which never had their own equipment or operations), and after forming and operating its own fire department for a time Mountain Vista itself merged into Golder Ranch Fire District, which taxes and covers the area now.

Of course Phoenix Fire covers Paradise Valley the same way - by contract. Like Laveen, Paradise Valley levies the tax but pays Phoenix Fire to protect the area.

Up in Yavapai County, Summit Fire District (SFD) contracted with Fort Valley Fire District (FVFD) and Eldon Lookout Road Fire District (ELRFD) to provide all of the fire services for FVFD and ELFD. FVFD and ELFD did not have any structures, fire equipment or employees and SFD provided all the equipment, structures and manpower to provide fire and EMS services to their community. This was done under an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA), which is exactly what Phoenix Fire has with Laveen Fire District and Paradise Valley, and what Sun City Fire District has with Youngtown, until SFD, FVFD and ELRFD formally merged under SFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.