Less Cellular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Why is it that some scanners have "Less Cellular" but it is illegal to monitor cellular frequencies?
what is the need for "less cellular?"

ecps92

Although Illegal for Civilian Users, with the proper letters [3] and Credentials a Governmental Agency could still purchase one that monitored ANALOG Cellular [800 Mhz, not PCS or Nextel] ONLY

Now that ANALOG Cellular is gone here in the US of A, it's a NON Issue

Why is it that some scanners have "Less Cellular" but it is illegal to monitor cellular frequencies?

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber

The term "less cellular" when used to describe a radio's frequency capability translates to: "WITHOUT the cellular frequency range" (rather than what you were probably thinking: "it has some cellular, but it has less of it!" :wink:)

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I was just wondering because i saw a BC780XLT and it said "less-Cellular" and i thought it was against part 15 to have a receiver capable of receiving the cellular 869-899 band, or whatever the split may be,
But i was also always told that it would be intelligable anyway due to the lack of software to monitor it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Did you bother to read kayi4cle's post? Look up the definition of "less" when used as a preposition, and your question will be answered. (here's a hint: less = minus or without)

n5ims

The marketing department only had limited space available so they thought "Less Cellular" was a better fit than "The frequency ranges used for Cellular Telephone Communication has been expunged from the range of available frequencies available for selection by this radio reception device." The legal department, however, preferred the longer description.

Status
Not open for further replies.