• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Licensing help

Steve-657

I have started a county wide search and rescue team of all volunteers.
We need a radio frequency that can be used with repeaters to cover county wide communications.
One that not every member has to have a license.
But also one that will not break the bank
($400+) for a fcc allocated frequency is beyond our reach currently.
Any ideas on any type of natural disaster frequencies that doesn’t require a license?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
No. You need to license a public safety frequency. The FCC doesn't charge as long as your 501C3 however the coordinator will. VSAR16 is what I license for most SAR teams I help out with as the first frequency. If your trying to cover a county as said thats going to cost alot more. VSAR16 is simplex and used for onscene operations.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
VSAR16 is what I license for most SAR teams
We need a radio frequency that can be used with repeaters to cover county wide communications.
VSAR16 (155.1600) is the common national SAR frequency. Another common SAR frequency is 155.2200. Usually they are used as simplex frequencies, since SAR teams interoperate or have rescues outside the range of most repeaters.

You could get coordination for a repeater using 155.1600 as an output and a compatible frequency as an input. This would give you good flexibility.

You don't show your location, but it if you haven't already, you should consult NASAR (https://nasar.org/) , the national Association for SAR for valuable information and assistance. Getting proper training and accreditation for your team is important for safety and acceptance into the SAR community.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have started a county wide search and rescue team of all volunteers.
One that not every member has to have a license.
But also one that will not break the bank

Before you start this process, make sure you fully comprehend what a repeater costs. They are not cheap, and they are not something you buy off Amazon and set up yourself on a Saturday morning. They are not 'plug-n-play'. You are looking at thousands and thousands of dollars for decent/reliable equipment. You'll need suitable radio site(s), which will not likely be free. There is maintenance costs that need to be covered.
Individual user radios will be expensive if you want anything that is suitable for this sort of work. Don't think a $25 Chinese POS radio is going to solve your needs.

If you are in any way associated with your County, talk to them. If it's a large enough county to have a trunked radio system, you -may- be able to get access to their system, but don't count on it. Radios that will work on those systems get exponentially more expensive.

($400+) for a fcc allocated frequency is beyond our reach currently.

As said above, if you are a not-for-profit organization and have the legal paperwork to back that up, the FCC will not charge you for the license application.
You will be required to pay for frequency coordination from an FCC approved frequency coordinator. That is a requirement for license application.
Cost can vary depending on what you exactly need. I had a couple of UHF simplex frequencies coordinated for work, and I think I paid $125.
Coordinating a repeater pair over a wide area is going to take more work and will cost more.

-Frequency coordination is required by the FCC for what you want to do.-

Any ideas on any type of natural disaster frequencies that doesn’t require a license?

Not that will use repeaters.

If you don't want to license a frequency, that limits you to radio services like CB, FRS, or MURS. None of those will allow repeaters. None of them will be suitable for what you are doing.

There is no license waiver for "natural disaster", public safety, emergency, volunteer, "we can't afford a license", search and rescue, etc.

Not trying to discourage you, but this is a very expensive thing you are walking into. Not being able to afford a license or frequency coordination isn't a good start. You really are looking at tens of thousands of dollars in equipment to get a suitable/reliable repeater, and probably a lot more depending on the terrain. It may be a good idea to take a step back and think about all of this. Cooperating with another established agency might be a better approach.

RFI-EMI-GUY

"Any ideas on any type of natural disaster frequencies that doesn’t require a license?"
Nope, not specifically those freqs.
Well there is MURS and /\/\otorola DTR radios 900 MHz but each one of those will set you back $300+.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
@Steve-657 : As others have said, $400 is just a drop in the bucket compared to $n000 to $nn000 for repeater equipment and installation and $n00/month for site rent, insurance, maintenance, etc.. Maybe you can clarify things by telling us which county you need to cover, and whether someone's donating the repeater and monthly stuff.