• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lifecycle Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterGuy

I am looking for assistance with the compilation of standards and best practices related to lifecycle management of subscriber and infrastructure equipment. For example, the following is the standard within Florida based on typical PM and expressed within years:

Mobile Radios 8
Portable Radios 6

Base and Control Station Radios - 10
Transmitter combiners - 10

Antennas and Transmission Lines
Within 10 miles of bodies of salt water 10
Other locations 12

Antenna Towers
Within 10 miles of bodies of salt water 15
Other locations 20

Antenna Tower Lighting Systems 10

Control consoles 10

Logging Recorders 10

Instant Recall Recorders 6

Prefabricated Equipment Shelters 15

Standby Emergency Power Generators
Within 10 miles of bodies of salt water 8
Other locations 12

Microwave Equipment 15

gesucks

you would may a better response posting this question over at P25.ca. I think you will find a lot more sys admins and people in the industry over there that have the answer to this question.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
around here life cycle for anything related to public safety comms is when the system or component dies and new parts are no longer available! then if grant money is not available odds are it won't be replaced.

DisasterGuy

I hear you David... I am hoping that somewhere there are some general standards that have been adopted. My goal is to be able to create / justify a rotation of x% per year at least on the public safety side of the system so that it is built into an operating budget every single year. We have an agency on the system that does 10% per year placing everything basically on a 10 year lifecycle but that is even appearing a bit long in the tooth.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
for systems gear 10 years is good base line, for subscribers 7-10 years. 911 systems seem to be around 7-10 years as well. Recorders seem to be every 3-5 year in my experience, no one seems to support them long due to the computer portions changing so rapidly.

towers should be inspected and maintained at least annually. If this is kept up with as it should be, then 40-50 years on the structure itself is highly likely. Antennas and lines should get decades as well, barring lightning/other damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.