Listen before you leap

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The GA frequency coordinator has no web site. I was referred to the Southeastern Repeater Assn. (SERA). I registered and logged in and found no useful information. They discuss interference, band plans, etc., but there's nothing to show actual repeaters in operation or even licensed.

I believe that the SERA repeater data is not available online. They publish a magazine, available only to members, that lists all SERA-coordinated repeaters, by state.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
For Texas:

TX VHF FM Society Repeater Search

Keep in mind a few factors.

1. There are closed repeaters that have asked to not be listed with the above listed search resource.
2. Repeater trustees that want users to talk generally have other listings in club webpages, local lists, etc.
3. You are unlikely to find any online resource that has complete "up to the minute" data, however where coordination bodies list repeaters they are likely the best source if they provide the data online.
4. For specific DV/DD protocols, there are listings for repeaters within their special interest groups.

If you have bought a digital radio, consider obtaining a low power "hot spot" if you want to carry on conversations. These devices make it possible to find QSO's ongoing for the most part.

The "hot spots' are probably one reason a lot of repeaters don't see as much traffic. Look here:

D-Star REF001 station listing

For many folks it is just easier to link and experiment with their own "hot spot" they control rather then tie up a local repeater for linking.

Craig

NC1

I believe that the SERA repeater data is not available online. They publish a magazine, available only to members, that lists all SERA-coordinated repeaters, by state.

I also signed up, only to be disappointed due to the complete and total lack of the only information I was seeking.

Most of the very active repeaters are listed in Repeater Book. I have found some that are not listed, some that are (and have been) off the air for some time, some that have gone to DMR or other digital mode, and some that were never even constructed.

My course of action at this point is to have my Pro668 search for a week and automatically log all the hits.

Hit_Factor

My course of action at this point is to have my Pro668 search for a week and automatically log all the hits.

You will learn a lot about what's going on around you. Definitely what the OP had in mind when he started this thread.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I thought about getting a DMR radio, something like a cs800, but not enough ham DMR going on around me. Lots of DMR business radio systems popping up, but the ham repeaters are silent it seems. I hear them on Saturday night but that's about it. I scan everything around me and have found that quite a few uhf systems I thought were 'dead' actually migrated to DMR. Definitely a mode to keep up with. NXDN here and there, but DMR is really getting popular.

JD
kf4anc

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that but I didn't want to start anything so I just backed out. SERA is useless for most of us.

RepeaterBook notwithstanding, I've decided there are no useful and/or accurate nationwide listings for amateur radio repeaters.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I noticed that but I didn't want to start anything so I just backed out. SERA is useless for most of us.

RepeaterBook notwithstanding, I've decided there are no useful and/or accurate nationwide listings for amateur radio repeaters.

Yep, I have discovered this in my many travels toting around the ARRL Repeater book and trying to hit repeaters wherever I was stopped for the night. It happened for me now and then, but not often.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried the ARRL book. Maybe I should get one before my next trip.

I still use RepeaterBook because it's about the only thing out there but the information is sorely lacking. The listings in Alabama are a good example. One of the "features" of RepeaterBook is a search using interstate highways. There is one interstate that is not even on their map. Another Alabama example: I-65 runs the length of the state, gong through Birmingham and Montgomery and terminating near Mobile. The only repeaters listed on I-65 are in the Mobile area. Coincidentally (or not), the Alabama page coordinator for RepeaterBook lives near Mobile and, again coincidentally (or not), his repeater is listed.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The ARRL Repeater Directory is usually spot on, or has been in the past. I think the listings are correct, but the participation is lacking.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
FWIW Repeaterbook is only as good as the submissions made to it. If you find it is inaccurate or incomplete in your area, take the time to submit updates. And, at the same time, submit updates to RadioReference. Complaining about either source does nothing.
I'd love to but....

I usually travel alone. I pre-program the repeater frequencies along the route into the radio. Under those circumstances, I'm not able to make any notations as to the status of any of the repeaters. Driving by itself is dangerous enough. I don't care to add to it by engaging in some sort of bookkeeping.

As I told someone earlier, I've learned to live with the status quo.

k9wkj

The ARRL Repeater Directory is usually spot on, or has been in the past. I think the listings are correct, but the participation is lacking.

Repeater Information
Notice to repeater owners and trustees
RFinder Inc has become the official agent providing data for the ARRL Repeater Directory. As a result, we can no longer accept Directoryinformation through this web page.

and since then there are several states that have OLD data because of "software incompatibilities"

CQ

I concur with the OP. We have at least 3 D-Star, one P25, a few DMR (linked) repeaters and a Fusion system. By far the most traffic is on the Fusion machine. DMR is already mostly dead and D-Star is almost never heard here. I have never heard a signal on the P25 machine. We have a 1292 analog repeater and I am the only voice up there. It's been in operation for many years too. Yes, listen if you have the chance or find the local clubs and ask.

Sean

Fusion has been the best bet of all the modes with activity in several states I've traveled. And you have the ability to run analog/digital on repeaters.

The funny thing is a lot of DMR users are using hot spots to get into Wires-X. The bad thing is the quality/stability issues they bring to a good platform.

nd5y

Tom, for giggles and grins the day I saw this post I sent a note to the webmaster re the missing NJ entry. Nary a reply much less an update. Too bad, as this page could have been useful given the demise of the NFCC.
Does the NJ coordinator have a web site?

w2xq

Mentor
Does the NJ coordinator have a web site?
No. The state is split into SNJ, part of the ARCC ( ARCC - Repeater Frequency Coordination for Amateur Radio ) domain, and NNJ that is handled by Metrocor ( MetroCor.net ) covering the region around New York City. Both websites clearly show the NJ coverage. I gave the webbie the information and websites. And you'll note NY is missing too. Not your fault, but I am just thinking out loud if someone takes the time to put together this kind of useful information he/she should make a reasonable attempt at doing it right. Sigh...

w2xq

Mentor
It's not my web site. I have nothing to do with it. I only added the link to the RR wiki a while back to replace the defunct NFCC link.
Tom, I knew it wasn't your website. Given your participation on RR, you wouldn't have posted something like this. For grins, I looked at Amateur Radio Repeaters and that information isn't much better. Updating AC6V, however, could be a fulltime career. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.