SDS100/SDS200: Listening to control channel audio

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Can't hear the CC audio in "normal" modes? That is outrageous on a pricey box like this. That is one of the key features that lets those willing to make the effort get a 197 / 600 to submit a contrary simulcast. How about in the analyze mode, still no audio?
I'm guessing the designers figured few people would actually want to hear the raw cc audio, you can certainly tell if it's a P25 cc based on what the scanner displays.

The SDS also took away the ability to search only for CCs in custom search mode, my 396xt has this feature. However it's not that big of a deal, when you're running a band search the SDS will display DATA and have a constant signal on a CC, so it's pretty obvious when you find one.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm guessing the designers figured few people would actually want to hear the raw cc audio, you can certainly tell if it's a P25 cc based on what the scanner displays.

The SDS also took away the ability to search only for CCs in custom search mode, my 396xt has this feature. However it's not that big of a deal, when you're running a band search the SDS will display DATA and have a constant signal on a CC, so it's pretty obvious when you find one.

The 436/536 won’t do CC search either.

Ubbe

What you have to do are to create a favorite list or system with the search frequencies and set all frequencies to analog. ARC software and probably also ProScan can create scan lists by stating a start and stop frequency, the step size wanted and the modulation type, and it will create a department with that frequency range to scan. If you log and record you can view the log later and listen to what frequencies that had a carrier and if was a continuous control channel data. Using the Universal Scanner Audio Player will make it very easy to find those records. I set the mode for audio to All as the scanner will record the NAC or color code or RAN if it is a control channel and you will immediately see that data in the Universal Scanner Audio Player.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It still won’t pass the audio.

Actually, it will *unless* it sees an active control channel, so it 'works' in reverse. If you hear noise/squelch, it's not decoding. If you hear nothing, it is decoding.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Actually, it will *unless* it sees an active control channel, so it 'works' in reverse. If you hear noise/squelch, it's not decoding. If you hear nothing, it is decoding.

So my answer is correct. It won’t pass the CC audio (or noise, whatever you want to call it). Which is what the question was. :)

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
So my answer is correct. It won’t pass the CC audio (or noise, whatever you want to call it). Which is what the question was. :)

My mistake. I read it as the OP wanting to know if he was picking up a control channel or not. I still read it that way.

On mine, if I use the method described (squelch at 0 on the 'VFO'), and it's silent, I'm decoding. If I hear data or squelch, I'm not decoding. I know this is not exactly what the OP was asking to do, but it serves the same purpose. But I guess there is only one way to skin a cat (with apologies to the feline Americans reading this).