Listening to Rowlett with a 800mhz Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drake1731

Hello, so I had a question, I want to listen to the Rowlett police department without needing a scanner, I figured why not just buy a Motorola XTS 5000 III the one they use. For collecting and for listening. I've read up on how Trunking works. Not really sure about this idea. But couldn't I just buy a Motorola XTS 5000 III 800mhz and have it programmed to Rowlett with Rowletts talkgroups?? I need to do some more research on Trunking but I figured I could ask ya'll about it before I do anything.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, so I had a question, I want to listen to the Rowlett police department without needing a scanner, I figured why not just buy a Motorola XTS 5000 III the one they use. For collecting and for listening. I've read up on how Trunking works. Not really sure about this idea. But couldn't I just buy a Motorola XTS 5000 III 800mhz and have it programmed to Rowlett with Rowletts talkgroups?? I need to do some more research on Trunking but I figured I could ask ya'll about it before I do anything.
I don't have the XTS. However, your first hurdle would be in getting someone to program it for you. That could be a problem since that might require getting permission from the system administrator. You would also need to make sure the radio would not transmit & affiliate with the system.

Your second hurdle would be that the Garland system, which includes Rowlett, will be migrating to a new, P25 Phase II, system in conjunction with Mesquite. This was noted in your previous thread a few weeks ago.

JoeyC

The simple answer for you, based on your admitted knowledge and experience is NO.

http://forums.radioreference.com/mo...ou-want-monitor-trunked-system-moto-read.html

D

Drake1731

Thanks.

I don't have the XTS. However, your first hurdle would be in getting someone to program it for you. That could be a problem since that might require getting permission from the system administrator. You would also need to make sure the radio would not transmit & affiliate with the system.

Your second hurdle would be that the Garland system, which includes Rowlett, will be migrating to a new, P25 Phase II, system in conjunction with Mesquite. This was noted in your previous thread a few weeks ago.

Thank you hiegtx.

com501

If you do not have a GREAT DEAL of knowledge about how to do this, and there are very few people who do and can do it correctly, you stand a better than even chance of losing your radio and getting charged criminally. Buy a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.