Little help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpit

I recently bought a uniden bcd996p2 scanner with the nxdn upgrade. I am trying to monitor the s&p communications systems in crenshaw, covington, and coffee county. Question. I programmed crenshaw counties luverne site for I believe it's called one channel trunking ( I forgot if that's the correct name) I set the ran to search. And programmed the frequencies. Does the Ran have to be set for something other than search? I'm not new to scanning as I've messed with scanners, cb, shortwave listening, and amateur radio for 30 yrs. But I've never messed with trunking systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wolfpit

I've programmed the sites and rans from the rrdb and still I am not hearing anything from any of S&P's sites in Coffee, Crenshaw, or Covington. I'm stumped. What am I doing wrong?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not from your area, but I took a look. I would program whichever site is closest to you. Also, do not program as one-frequency trunk. Program as NXDN Trunk.
Click on the site and enter each frequency and Ch# (LCN). Setting the RAN is optional but is in the frequency options.

Looking further, the Luverne site does not have a Control Channel. You probably need to do some searching. I would start with the FCC license posted for the site.

Also, programming these type of systems is easier with software. I use Proscan. Awesome piece of software.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Here is what I have for Crenshaw county S & P. CC's checked this morning.

North Covington South Crenshaw
SYS RAN LCN Freq CC Neighbors
L337 4 41 151.8950
L337 4 42 153.5300 CC 1 2 5 8 13 16
L337 4 43 154.4900
L337 4 44 151.6550
Luverne
L337 5 51 152.9375
L337 5 52 153.3425 CC 4 6 10
L337 5 53 151.5275
L337 5 54 151.6625
Northern Crenshaw
L337 6 61 153.3050
L337 6 62 153.5900 CC 4 5 10
L337 6 63 152.9000
L337 6 64 154.4825

Wolfpit

Thanks guys for the help. I tried programming for standard trunking but I could never get to were I programmed frequencies. It kept asking for talk group id's . I will work on it some more tonight. It's pretty confusing though. Thanks again for the help

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
How are you programming the radio, from the front panel or a computer? If computer what
program are you using to do that?

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Can't help you, I can't find an online manual that has ndxn included in the instructions. I downloaded
Proscan and set it up and saved the file but since you don't do computer programming that will not
help. I will keep looking for a way.

Wolfpit

Can't help you, I can't find an online manual that has ndxn included in the instructions. I downloaded
Proscan and set it up and saved the file but since you don't do computer programming that will not
help. I will keep looking for a way.
Thanks. Question. Do I need to have the Lapine and Dozier sites saved to hear everything in Crenshaw county or does each site simulcast the same transmissions?

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I am not sure how ndxn neighbors work. I only have 2 receivers working at this time but will listen
to them and see if they are sending the same info. The S & P Troy site is also neighbors with those
3. I guess to provide coverage in eastern Crenshaw county and northern Coffee county.

Wolfpit

I am not sure how ndxn neighbors work. I only have 2 receivers working at this time but will listen
to them and see if they are sending the same info. The S & P Troy site is also neighbors with those
3. I guess to provide coverage in eastern Crenshaw county and northern Coffee county.
I was just curious if the system was like the old Alabama Inter City amateur radio network. You could key a repeater in say birmingham and come out in dothan.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I can't receive the Lapine site today, too hot and far. But it looks like that each site has some
transmissions that the other doesn't so I would add all 3 and listen and see. I am gone till
tomorrow, stay cool!

Wolfpit

I can't receive the Lapine site today, too hot and far. But it looks like that each site has some
transmissions that the other doesn't so I would add all 3 and listen and see. I am gone till
tomorrow, stay cool!
Ok. Thanks a bunch. I will reprogram tonight.

Wolfpit

Does anyone know if the Ran has to be programmed to receive the site? If when programming I leave Ran to search will I still receive anything?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Either way will work
Programming the RAN guarantees to receive specific site. For example I have a frequency that is used by two different sites. Programming the RAN rejects one and accepts the other.

Wolfpit

Either way will work
Programming the RAN guarantees to receive specific site. For example I have a frequency that is used by two different sites. Programming the RAN rejects one and accepts the other.
Thanks for the info.

Wolfpit

Ok. I have reprogrammed and am getting audio on the northern Covington site. Now to get elba, enterprise and opp up. Lol. Thanks

Wolfpit

Questions! Does anyone know the control channel for the Elba site for S&P communications? And secondly theoretically could I program Luverne, North covington, dozier, and lapine frequencies under one site. That way I could have one quick key for Crenshaw county! Same for Coffee and Covington?

Status
Not open for further replies.