Status
Not open for further replies.

Markbb

I'd like to get a few ideas as to a antenna location, I'm not in a apartment and have a rather large tree in the back yard, but the location would be alittle to far as far as cable length, another idea would be to mount outside on the roof or in the attic...kinda like the attic idea not so much of a lightning rod, and expert advise to location, I'm looking to get a scantena and it'll be right in above me hopefully in the attic or roof top any thoughts..pros and cons

I would say lightning is more likely to hit that tree than a rooftop antenna (the tree being the taller object). And I know many hams and none that I am aware of have had any real secondary lightning damage, as they have properly grounded assemblies.

I always suggest my cheapie method for those who need decent performance at a reasonable price.

Two 10' antenna masts in a tripod, with guy wires, mounted at the peak. This gets my antenna up 40' above ground level, and gives great results. Use a static discharge unit, and good grounding with multiple rods spaced out properly, linked to household & telephone ground points indirectly.

What was it Bill Cheek used to say? I think it was that he would rather have a cheap scanner hooked up to a good antenna setup than a good scanner and a bad antenna setup. I agree.

Markbb

I'm trying to get a idea on what you mean? tripods?...I'm not getting it and grounding the tower would that be a lead to a grounded post such as grounding a house for the nutrueal...

Home depot, Lowes, and even RS possibly have them. They are tripods that hold a pole up vertically. $20 or so. Then you guy wire the mast for stability, works great.

There are a few very informative threads on proper grounding if you do a quick search on the forum. Try a search for the words "proper grounding" and you will find some good reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.