Looking at getting my first scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCUC

Hey, I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I did do a search before hand, but didn't find much.

I've currently been using a UV-5R+ to listen in on the amateur bands and been wanting to explore a little more within the spectrums, so I've been looking at getting a trunk scanner. I have no interest in spending absurd amounts of money for a scanner ($200 is the very upper limit), so I've been looking at the BCT15X and BCT8 to install within my vehicle. I live in Columbia, South Carolina and want to listen in on the police, EMS, fire, and other services. I know they use an analog trunk system, so I don't think the BCT8 would work, but the price is very appealing. The BearTracker system also largely interests me, but I'm not sure about how well that technology works.

Overall, would these scanners work for my location and how future proof are they? I absolutely will not spend an absurd inflated price of $400 for a digital radio if everyone converts within a few years, so I'd probably just skip this as a hobby if so. I simply want something that works and will continue to work for years to come, I don't need fancy features like WIFI or GPS location data that tacks on insane prices.

Thanks

dillpickle83

I have a Uniden BCT15X and I love it. The downfall is you will be suicidal before you get it to program fully manually. However FreeScan is a great program, and you can import straight off the RR Database. I had mine up an running in about 30 min. I use mine as a base scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that the 15X is analog only - if you need digital trunking, it won't work...a lot of folks have made this mistake

Mike

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The BCT15X is a great scanner and may work for now for fire and EMS, but you won't hear law enforcement as Columbia PD and Richland County Sheriff is all digital, on the Palmetto 800 Trunking System.

I recommend saving up a little and getting a digital scanner. With the release of the new Uniden scanners the prices on their older digital scanners is beginning to drop as buyers of the new units sell their older units on ebay, etc.

Also the BearTracker system is very outdated and pretty much useless. It was based on vehicular repeater systems which are being replaced by systems that have better portable performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.