Looking for a good mobile rig i can take to POTA and other field day type activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The ICOM IC-705 should be considered in this thread as well. It meets your "Looking tor a rig that does HF as well as 2, 70, 6, 10 along with the regular HF stations. Had An eye opener today at field day. Would like waterfall capability, but it's not a deal breaker. Would like to fit in a backpack." description of what you are looking for. What do you give up with the 705? Output power. But running low power is possible IF you have a decent antenna (e.g. and EFHW) up high enough.
Regarding the EFHW balun: Sure! Lean out the window and put a screw eye in the window sill or side of the house. Hang the balun on that, run the other end out to a tree or pole.... and you're good to go.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
There’s no magic voodoo to where the matching transformer is…where ever works! The far end, the higher the better! My 40 mtr version goes from 8ft to 35ft! Works well…
Mid range HF rigs…if it’s gonna be ur travel rig n not main station rig, used K2 or K3…TenTec Argo V or VI…new KX3 is a POTA/SOTA fave! All great radios and easy on the battery!

tadpole207

I know, i also know i am reading too much into this and am giving myself decision making paralysis. I have this FTDX10 but i see myself after recovery wanting to travel more. If I buy the 991a, i have basically 2 of the same thing (i know subtle and major differences) but basically i will have 2 high end radios for HF.

So honestly, for those that want to reply, and i will leave this thread at your answers (because i literally don't know what to do)- would you keep the FTDX10 and buy an 891 (or insert other radio) or sell the FTDX10 and buy 991 (or insert other radio)

Once i have a firm grasp of HF, i wont have issues deciding which radio is best for x circumstance. I just dont want to have over 2k worth of radios (FTDX10 and 991 or 7100) and only end up using one of them (perhaps the 991 and also sunset my Btech 50x3)

Until i move (we are currently looking for land for our horses, old house sold already and horses are at friends barn) I am stuck, and land with barns and houses in SC are going fast with all the transplants.

**** storm perfect have I.....(Yoda)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you don't have an issue travelling with the FTDX-10, I'd keep it. Harbor Freight has inexpensive equipment cases (they look like Pelican cases) that you can use to carry the FTDX-10 with you. Then buy a 2m/70cm FM mobile radio to cover those bands.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Interesting decision you've got there! I can't be of much help, as I am an Elecraft guy with an ancient Ten Tec Scout sitting in a box for portable operation! But do read up on EFHW antennas! Especially for easy installation and use on a POTA/SOTA type thing.

tadpole207

@AK9R I do have 2 UHF/VHF rigs, the Btech 50x3 at home and Anytone 778UV in the jeep. For POTA i could unhook that for UHF/VHF but then im still stuck at what mobile HF rig to get. I like the idea of waterfalls because it helps a newb like me find potential stations. You have helped me a ton on here already, should i put that much faith in a visual aid like the waterfall? I know i could eventually hook the rigs up to a PC and run software for the waterfall and DMR, but kinda looking for that magic bullet. Just like antennas, I am finding so many niche things talking to you all that i would have never thought of myself. Thats why i keep throwing this spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks.

If I kept the FTDX10, what mobile HF rig i in my ballpark? I see lots of 891's on youtube videos for field days, but mainly from guys that have been doing it for 20+ years.

Also emailed Dan from my antenna. He does suffer no fools......lol

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think you will find that most POTA contacts are on HF. The only people you'll make POTA contacts with on VHF/UHF are those who just happen to be close to your activation. Remember that contacts through repeaters do not count as POTA contacts except for contacts repeated through satellites.

I find waterfall displays to be very useful for finding signals on HF. Keep in mind that for a POTA activation, you'll be sticking on one frequency and calling CQ, so having a waterfall is less of an issue. Once you spot yourself at a POTA activation, folks will be coming out of the woodwork to answer your CQ.

I know a guy who uses an FT-891 for POTA activations. He has no complaints. Just remember that lots of settings are buried in menus. Yaesu has a tendency to build their menus as one long list of settings rather than grouping menu settings into logical categories.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Before you go running out to buy a rig for SOTA/POTA, look online for the closest 5 SOTA/POTA locations. Go scout them on foot. Then take a backpack, or however you intend on carrying your radio, and add triple the weight of the radio intend to carry (to make up for the battery, antenna, coax) and go scout these locations again. Yes, POTA can be done from your car, but SOTA does require you walking/hiking the final steps. If you can live hauling the weight around to where you think you might operate, and back, then go ahead with the full size rig. Otherwise, what @popnokick said, the IC-705 should be a reasonable contender.

Don't get hung up on 100w of power, a good antenna that you can setup reasonably quick, and is effective, is often more important than pumping tons of power into a dummy load. Time is an essential item that is often overlooked. Setup and tear down always take longer than anticipated, and if you design something that you think will take only 30 minutes will likely cause you to talk yourself out of your next activation.

morganAL

I've been looking into getting one of the Xeigu G90 radios for POTA. 20W out and built in tuner. That power level shouldn't be too taxing on a battery. I don't remember the specs on it as far as current draw but Google is your friend. Plus, the radio is pretty small and lightweight.

tadpole207

Hey, what do you all think of the Icom 705 ( the QRP rig) compared to say, like a Yaesu 991? Do you see more POTA and SOTA QSOs tend to be QRP or using higher powers? I finally got in my mag loop antenna from Alpha Antenna (and learning enough to say that probably my next antenna will be homemade) and am itching to use it with the FTDX10.....but as far as a backpack, would you recommend something like the 991a or the 705? Power wise and size wise, what are yall's thoughts?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Your issue with backpacking a 991a vs an Icom 705 is going to be the weight and size not only of the radio but also of the battery and anything else for power you have to haul for the 991a. And yes, even at its lowest RF output it is likely to draw more power than the 705. The 991a was not designed for backpacking QRP POTA/SOTA.

tadpole207

@popnokick thanks. I am starting to learn that... thank you. What do you think about Xiegu? Looking at https://www.radioddity.com/products/xiegu-x6100 as well as 705. Don't know much about Xiegu myself. I figure, when on the airing, i will probably need an amp as well as the radio if i want to go above the 10w max for some of these radios. Does Xiegu have a good rep? Does the 6100 have a good rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.