• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for Harris P7200 programming cable

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Can someone point me to a part number or source for the P7200 programming cable please? Google has been zero help.

TIA

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Uhhhh, that is four times what I paid for the radio. Looking for a pre-owned cable that is excess to the owner.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
$125 is what they go for. Either get it or find someone that can lend one to you
I don't know anyone who has this cable or I would have contacted them. I just can't justify $125 to program a $30 radio either so I'll just slink away. Thanks for your ideal suggestion though.

K2NEC

You paid money for a proprietary public safety radio and now you're surprised that you have to pay a premium to get it to work. This is why you do research prior to just dumping money into a project. There are no aftermarket cables for Harris like there is Moto.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You paid money for a proprietary public safety radio and now you're surprised that you have to pay a premium to get it to work. This is why you do research prior to just dumping money into a project. There are no aftermarket cables for Harris like there is Moto.

In addition to the lack of aftermarket cables, most people who have the OEM cables tend to hang onto them, thus very few pre-owned cables on the market.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
$30, no great investment but was looking forward to the learning portion of this project. Guess I'll just move on to some other project. I've enjoyed playing and learning with out-of-service Moto hardware in the past. My bad for not researching Harris products thoroughly.

K2NEC

No such thing as a RIB in the Harris world. That's a Motorola thing

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You can also get an LPE-200 cable and break off the side tabs and that will work just fine.
No RIB needed, but it does have DB-25.
No such thing as a RIB in the Harris world. That's a Motorola thing

Older radios (pre-Harris) including the LPE200 did require the GE TQ3370 or TQ3310 programming interface. P7100/M7100 and later only needed the correct cable.

The TQ3310 was for programming personalities only (more like the Moto RIB) while the TQ3370 was for programming or flashing (more like the Moto SmartRIB).

So that cable probably won't work with the P7200. I wouldn't risk it.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Older radios (pre-Harris) including the LPE200 did require the GE TQ3370 or TQ3310 programming interface. P7100/M7100 and later only needed the correct cable.

The TQ3310 was for programming personalities only (more like the Moto RIB) while the TQ3370 was for programming or flashing (more like the Moto SmartRIB).

Thanks Tom, I figured there had to be some sort of intermediate box with that D-sub 25 pin plug. It just didn't seem logical to me that the LPE-200 would accept RS-232 direct from a computer.

merlin

Those cables are almost unobtanium. A user here made a few and I paid $125 for mine. good cable,USB version.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've been toying with making some cables for these.. I might take another look into it. I have the bits and pieces but it sure isn't pretty in it's current configuration lol

jrothwell

Premium Subscriber

I've programmed several LPE-200s with just the cable and I've programmed even more P7100s and P7200s with the same cable. I have never had any issue. I'm even using a serial to USB adaptor.

jrothwell

Premium Subscriber
NOPE, those are like the MRK. very different.
That is incorrect. Even the MRK does not need anything but the cable. I've used the same cable on MRKs as I have to program the LPE-200s and P7100s and P7200s. Older GE Radios did require an additional "RIB", but not these ones.