looking for help programming a uniden sc230 scanner via my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonypl056

Greetings everyone! my name is tony, i am new here to this site/forum and i have recently move to farmers branch texas. i am trying to set up my uniden sc230 scanner. i have loaded the most up to date firmware and i am just practicing with a demo version of scanner control v. 7.1.x just to get used to prorgamming from my pc. i have found and loaded and programmed the frequencies for my area police, fire, etc. however my scanner does not do "trunktracker" i was wondering if there is a way to isolate the farmers branch police dept. from the fire dept. whereas they share the same user group and they are on the same system in carrollton texas, can someone please guide me it would be a huge help. also please feel free to pm me if you want to. again i am new to this scanner but i am fairly fast learner. also please let me know if there are any questions

thanks in advance
Tony

davidbond21

Welcome to Radio Reference! Unfortunately you are not going to be able to specifically monitor any of the departments you listed with the scanner you have, because as you said, it will not do trunk tracking. Monitoring the trunking frequencies conventionally, you will be able to hear all the traffic on this system, but you won't exactly know what agency is talking and if the system is busy, you will likely not be able to follow any conversations.

Since you are new to all this, here is a brief explanation of why you cannot do this: Conventional radio systems use one frequency per channel on their radios, so switching from channel 1 to 2, you would switch from one frequency to another. In reality, there are a fixed number of frequencies available, and in a county with a large population like the one you're in, the public safety frequencies get licensed(read now unavailable to anyone else there) pretty quick. If you look at all the talkgroups listed in the Carrollton Public Safety TRS, if it were a conventional system, each one of those would require a separate frequency.

In trunking though, you can think of each talkgroup as a channel on a radio, so the FB PD and FD each have four or five channels assigned to them, but the way this works, is that all these different agencies share those 9 frequencies listed at the top of the database page. One of these frequencies is called the control channel, and it continuously transmits data to every radio on the system. What this data does is say if a Farmers Branch Police officer keys his radio up on "Channel A"(talkgroup 52272), before the officer can speak, the control channel sees the radio keying up, and assigns one of the other available frequencies to that talkgroup, so now every other radio on the system whose channel selector is set on this "Channel A" will now switch themselves over to this new assigned frequency so they can hear what is being said(everybody thats not on that channel hears nothing), and after the officer is done talking and releases his PTT button, all the radios switch back to listening to the control channel for the next instructions. All this frequency switching is done internally and goes pretty much unnoticed by the user; all they have to do is turn their radio on to the proper channel(talkgroup).

That's an overly simplistic explanation of what happens, and different types of trunking accomplish this in different ways. You can read up on trunking here. There looks to be quite a bit of conventional public safety frequencies in Dallas County(though I'll let others from the area make suggestions) so you should be able to get some decent use out of the Uniden you have now, but just be warned. After getting a taste for public safety monitoring on conventional, and you know that your hometown agency is on a trunked system, it won't be long before you break down and buy a trunktracking scanner. At least that's what happened to me. :)

Last edited:

tonypl056

Hi David, thank you for that it is very very helpful. it is really hard to tell wich town is which unless they are right on my street, lol. i got into this hobby many many years ago when everything was on regular repeaters or just plain VHF. with all the new changes and P25, and digital stuff coming it's hard to figure which is the best scanner to cover eveything you want to listen to. i have been researching different scanners and hopefully something will stand out for my needs. i am a "radio junkie" and i always look for the best. i got this sc230 super cheap just to see what was what out in the airwaves
but yes your right, there will be "trunktracker" scanners in my house a.s.a.p! thanks so much for all of your help. have agreat day!

:) Tony

tonypl056

also David, i forgot to mention, i was thinking that maybe if there were sepreate tones, or DCS codes for each town that would really help to but looking through the carrollton system i didn't see anything to use, sorry if there was something i missed in your reply, but it was a thought.

thanks again,
Tony

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
also David, i forgot to mention, i was thinking that maybe if there were sepreate tones, or DCS codes for each town that would really help to but looking through the carrollton system i didn't see anything to use, sorry if there was something i missed in your reply, but it was a thought.

thanks again,
Tony
Tony,
You'll need a trunk-tracking scanner to monitor the Carrollton system, the same link David provided.

This is an analog Motorola type II system. Any number of available scanners will work. Once you have the system set up, you can enter the talkgroups, and then listen only to Farmers Branch PD and/or FD, or also the other two cities on that system- Carrollton & Addison. To your north & west, respectively, Lewisville & Coppell are on this system.

PL tones or DCS codes are not used on trunked systems like these. You would, however, utilize them if you wanted to listen to Dallas PD & Dallas Fire Rescue, as well as Dallas County SO. Those are not on a trunked system, though Dallas PD does have some deployment talkgroups on the Dallas city govt. TRS.

See Trunking Basics in the Wiki for a starting point.

Garland, Irving, Richardson, Plano, and Mesquite, among other cities, are on trunked systems. Besides Dallas and Dallas County, Highland & University Park, as well as most of the smaller southern Dallas County suburbs, are on conventional channels, not trunked.

At the minute, the only digital (P25) voice on trunked systems in the DFW metro area are: Grand Prairie, Mansfield Public Safety, & Parker County. Frisco is in the process of building their own P25 system (they are on Plano's analog system at present), and at least a couple of other systems may be looking at upgrading from analog to P25. Texas DPS, of course, is P25 on conventional frequencies.

tonypl056

ok now i understand ok great guys thanks for all of the help and info. i was wondering for the time being until i get a trunktracker unit, how can i identify the farmers branch law enforcement units, do they user car numbers or something else such as "control to 8120" or something like that? could some one let me know?

thanks guys!

God Bless!
Tony

davidbond21

ok now i understand ok great guys thanks for all of the help and info. i was wondering for the time being until i get a trunktracker unit, how can i identify the farmers branch law enforcement units, do they user car numbers or something else such as "control to 8120" or something like that? could some one let me know?

thanks guys!

God Bless!
Tony

Unfortunately, unless somebody from the area is familiar with that system and gets on here to answer that, you may have to wait until the trunking scanner shows up. At that point it will be a snap to listen to a single department on the trunked system(i.e. Farmers Branch PD) and just start hearing all the unit numbers being used. But if you're making due right now by listening to the repeaters conventionally, the only thing I could suggest is to listen for what units are responding to what addresses, and a quick Google of that address could give you a clue as to what town or jurisdiction those units are in.

Much of the time(at least that I've been listening), law enforcement units use some kind of numbering scheme, and a single radio system(be it conventional or trunked) that has multiple agencies using it often will have distinct sets of numbers for each agency. Say Town A's Police might use 1XX numbers and Town B's PD may use 2XX, and so on(including also using 4 digit numbers). There is a nearby EDACS system that I listen to that has six cities using it, and each police department uses a different set of numbers; 1XXs, 4XXs, 5XXs, 8XXs, 13XXs, 23XXs are an example of the law enforcement unit numbers on this particular system. And I've been listening long enough that I don't have to look at the scanner to see who's talking, I know what city they belong just by hearing their unit number(which is great when driving around in rush hour traffic, which I do every morning and afternoon driving to/from work through this area).

tonypl056

Hi David, ok then, i had to ask thats all. you never know who has the info. i've been studying my town and thus far i haven't been able to nail it down, bu again i have only has my "crap scanner" set up for about a month so i guess i'll just ride it out til the new one come in. but agasin thanks for the help it is always appreciated.

God Bless!

Tony

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

thanks guys!

God Bless!
Tony
I don't listen to the PD side of the Carrollton system that closely. But, generally speaking, you'll find that when there are several cities on one system, they often use specific number sequences for each city. Right now, holding on Farmer's Branch dispatch Ch A, I've heard a 1300 series, and a 2300 series. Often, it's that second digit that identifies the city (the 3). Units included 1320, 2308, 2309, 2310, 2315.

Remember that by only being able to enter the frequencies, and trying to scan conventionally without trunk tracking, you'll have to lock out the current control channel. There are four listed. Many systems rotate them periodically, some daily, some weekly, it varies. So, once you have the current control locked out, and begin scanning, you may find, a day or two later, that the control channel has changed & you suddenly hear it again. Just lock out the new control channel, & unlock the one previously used.

You'll also hear all traffic on the system. Not just Farmer's Branch PD & FD, but also the police & Fire for Carrollton & Addison, as well as all of Carrollton's city services- water, sewer, trash trucks, public works, the full meal deal.So I suspect you'll want to be ready to hit the 'scan' button to get past some of that.

tonypl056

Hi hiegtx, thanks for that info. i have been locking out the control channel when it moves all that data noise will drive ya nuts, but i guess for now til my other units come in i'll do my best to follow my town.
thanks again for all the help.. have a great day!

God Bless!
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.