Looking for New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

germwad86

With the holidays coming up I've been thinking about what a good scanner is I could request!

I've had 3 scanners in my life all being Radio Shack models which I really do like! With that being said, I do NOT feel that their newer digital scanners up to the par with GRE or Uniden. (I would love to know what others thoughts are.)

I'm curious with systems like the new 700mhz and all the new digital channels out there (none of my current scanners have digital capability) which scanner could handle these the best if any?

I'm curious for the new state 700mhz, middlesex, toms river digital channels, the 800mhz state digital channels and I guess anything not encrypted.

Finally, does anyone know of any new scanners coming out that may be better than what's out now, or if they are out already with not much improvement coming with all the encryption and non monitorable freqs out there.

Thanks!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
RS Pro-106 and 197 are nearly identical to GRE PSR-500 and 600. Only difference is cosmetics.

106/500 are handheld and 197/600 are base/mobile. All will scan anything in your area. RS may have a Black Friday sale on Nov. 25 on their scanners.

Highpockets

With the holidays coming up I've been thinking about what a good scanner is I could request!

I've had 3 scanners in my life all being Radio Shack models which I really do like! With that being said, I do NOT feel that their newer digital scanners up to the par with GRE or Uniden. (I would love to know what others thoughts are.)

I'm curious with systems like the new 700mhz and all the new digital channels out there (none of my current scanners have digital capability) which scanner could handle these the best if any?

I'm curious for the new state 700mhz, middlesex, toms river digital channels, the 800mhz state digital channels and I guess anything not encrypted.

Finally, does anyone know of any new scanners coming out that may be better than what's out now, or if they are out already with not much improvement coming with all the encryption and non monitorable freqs out there.

Thanks!

With the new PSIC 700 system (P25 X2 TDMA) hitting NJ, I'm going to wait and see what GRE (rumor) might release near Christmas. The Uniden HP-1E won't do phase 2 and until I hear someone with a unit that will definately do it, I'm waiting. The one GRE unit might do it, but, we'll have to wait and see. I guess Uniden will release something that will handle Phase 2 also, but when, who knows.

nursepen

I currently have the home patrol it's a good little scanner easy to manage,easy to update,portable for trips and will cover 700mhz,from where I'm at it picks up Philly fire and police ,montgomery, bucks ,delaware camden, burlington and NJSP. A little tip if you get the adapter you can use the radio shack 800mhz antenna which seems to improve the reception.

w2xq

Mentor
I agree that RS might very well have decent sale prices between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I bought the -106 for portability and battery operation after the long power outage caused by Hurricane Irene. Luckily we missed the late October snow that caused much of north Jersey to be without power for days on end. So far it's been working very well, a sensitive receiver that is better than anything owned in the past.

rwier

Lotta good info! Even with all the bad "stuff" happening world-wide, now is still the best time ever to be alive (lol), and looking to buy a new scanner!

scannersnstuff

i'm gonna wait and see what's next. scanner master currently has a pretty decent sale on both uniden and gre. i was kind of admiring the gre psr-410,but currently have it's older sister, the psr-400. i don't know if i'll ever spring for another analog scanner. i'd just like to wait and see what's around the corner in digital/tdma phase II scanner's. next up on my "wish list" is a par fm filter.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I doubt that you'll see anything from Uniden on the Phase 2 side - it's already been discussed, and UPMan did mention that the current scanner design they're using won't support it. Back to the drawing board...now GRE has been mum on their supposed new scanner that was thought to be out around Xmas time, but so far that's been vaporware

best regards...Mike

AC2OY

With the new PSIC 700 system (P25 X2 TDMA) hitting NJ, I'm going to wait and see what GRE (rumor) might release near Christmas. The Uniden HP-1E won't do phase 2 and until I hear someone with a unit that will definately do it, I'm waiting. The one GRE unit might do it, but, we'll have to wait and see. I guess Uniden will release something that will handle Phase 2 also, but when, who knows.

Ok...lol here comes a stupid question?....I spent nearly $500 for my scanner...are you saying that itmwon't scan or decode this type of system? Further more if more new jersey agencies go to this with the unit I have I can't listen in?

scannersnstuff

the ONLY current scanner that i hear that will do tdma II is the new gre psr-800. i don't really like that type of scanner. also, if i want anything from gre for my base, i'm going to have to cure my overload problem first, with a filter. i sold off a radio, and am currently trying to save up a little bit of a "war chest" for a future scanner purchase. i'm in no real hurry. i've successfully passed up the scanner master sale. now i just have to get past black friday and christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

germwad86

Ok, after doing a bit of reading and having a friend ask me questions I'm a bit confused on rebanding and narrowbanding. The rebanding already took place and I'm pretty sure that all three of my rs scanners still work fine on the state system, Is this because the control channels did not change? I hear all transmissions and dont miss anything!

I assume that due to narrowbanding my scanners won't pick up the new freqs...?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.