Looking for scanner to suit my needs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxr4000

Hey, I am looking for a good scanner to scan for local PD, State PD, and local Fire.....All Local channels are outside of the 800mhz range, local fire is 25-54 local PD is 108-174, but State is in the 800mhz range.

I want to set up a "command station" in my "computer room". I have my eye on the Uniden bc350c/a since it is quite small and can grab them for relatively cheap used, and it covers the bands that I need. I want to have a "stand-alone" scanner for each system (ie: 1 for Fire, 1 for PD, 1 for Ambulance ect.....).

I was wondering if I am making a good choise with this, or if there is something out there that will better suit my needs. Since most of the local PD's are still outside of the 800mhz freq's. and still on the conventional system, trunking and all the fancy stuff is pretty much not needed.

I currently have a bcd396t (use on the road) r/s pro-94 using just as a "back-up" in the house, and a bct-8 downstairs programmed for local PD and Fire.

vs1988

Since those systems are analog conventional, a BC350C is not a bad idea. It's a very sturdy, solid scanner. The programming is a little bit tricky, but the reciever is pretty sensitive. The only con is it doesn't have features like multiple banks, priority scan etc. and only as 50 channels. You may also want to look into a Radioshack Pro 2054. Those are going for pretty decent prices, and I've heard some pretty good things about them.

gsxr4000

vs1988 said:
Since those systems are analog conventional, a BC350C is not a bad idea. It's a very sturdy, solid scanner. The programming is a little bit tricky, but the reciever is pretty sensitive. The only con is it doesn't have features like multiple banks, priority scan etc. and only as 50 channels. You may also want to look into a Radioshack Pro 2054. Those are going for pretty decent prices, and I've heard some pretty good things about them.

Would the Pro 2055 be the model that took over for the 2054?? I looked on Ebay and the only 2054 that I found needs repair (broken knob) :(

vs1988

The 2055 is a different model that is triple trunking. The 2054 was recently discontinued. Try looking at the for sale ads here, since they seem to come up pretty often.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
landonjensen said:
what are the pro / cons between base scanners and protable scanners?

Well, it's hard to put a base scanner in your pocket, unless you're Captain Kangaroo. :lol:

gsxr4000

twolf816 said:
i have a 350c....first scanner i ever purchased....its not that its hard to program, its just annoying. i suggest the bct8

more info: http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_productpop.cfm?prd_code=BCT8

its rather easy to program, trunked systems take some time but rather simple if you understand the system

Yea, I have a bct-8 downstairs, that thing is a snap to program.

But I was looking more into the 350c/a because it has a "smaller footprint".

It's not going to be too hard to program, just gotta use the up & down arrows since there is no keypad to put the freqs. in directly.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
vs1988 said:
Since those systems are analog conventional, a BC350C is not a bad idea.
Not to be overly picky, but what did you get from the OP that told you this? Nothing he said had anything to do with location, so how do you know he has only analog in his area? If anything, the fact that he owns a 396T would indicate otherwise.

gsxr4000

Lou- I have the 396t for when I'm on the road, where the County PD is on the 800mhz trunked sytem. But right now, I have "everyone" programmed into it.

When I am at home, the Town and Village PD's are still Conventional and all in the 150's range.

So the "at home" scanner I am looking for wouldn't need to do anything fancy like "Go" says...I don't need digital or trunking.

I am using the 396t in the house temp. for now, just because the audio is 100x better than the pro-94....and it has Alpha Tags.

So with that being said, that is why I want a stand-alone scanner for each "service" (PD, Amb., FD)...so that I will know if scanner "X" is talking, I'll know it's PD...if scanner "Y" is talking, I'll know it's FD.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
gsxr, The Pro-2055 would suit your needs as far as a base/mobile unit, with text tags. However, be careful if you go looking for a used one. There have been some display issues.
You might also consider a used BC780, another base/unit with text tags. The prices on these are dropping some as they are not reflashable for rebanding. But they'll still be good conventional scanners, as well as non-digital trunk trackers for EDACS & LTR.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
gsxr4000 said:
Lou- ...When I am at home, the Town and Village PD's are still Conventional and all in the 150's range.
I wasn't questioning what you had or needed, I was questioning how vs1988 jumped to that conclusion based on your original two posts. Either he is psychic or he knows you. ;)

vs1988

Loumaag:

gsxr4000 said:
I was wondering if I am making a good choise with this, or if there is something out there that will better suit my needs. Since most of the local PD's are still outside of the 800mhz freq's. and still on the conventional system, trunking and all the fancy stuff is pretty much not needed.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
vs1988:

You know, I read that 6 times before posting my first question and again before posting that last time and still didn't see it. Either I need to get better eyes, or I am having too many senior moments... :confused:

Accept my humble apology :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.