Looking to get started

Status
Not open for further replies.

canoman1

Hey there,

I have been listening to streaming feeds for awhile now. I would like to get started listening to the feeds from my area. I am looking for a good introductory scanner that I would be able to pick up OPP, EMS and Fire in Hastings County. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like a decent device. Chances are I would buy it in the States when I go in March. What should I be looking for.

Thanks

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Once you get into OPP your looking at a more pricy radio as it has to be a digital scanner.. must be P25 APCO (digital). Can not be an analog only scanner.

If your looking into used a Uniden BCD396T / 396T is a good comprimise between price and features / size. Yes the newer 396XT has way more features (multi-site, patched talkgroups) but your getting up in price range.

The pro-106 by radioshack is typically $299 on sale brand new in the store. And cheaper used. That is also a good option be prepared to purchase accessories (usb cable, wall adapter are all extra).

PM me if you need a price on anything

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR!
I have the bcd396xt and love it. It can be a little complicated, but with pratice I figured it out. It is small and compact and can be taken anywhere. If you go with this radio - dont forget to get the additional usb programming cable for it! As far as software to program it - Freescan is awesome, and it is free! (but send the author a few bucks donation - he deserves it for marketing such a capable product!)

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
One other thing you may wish to keep in mind is if your scanner is just going to sit on a table at home or if you do a bunch of driving would you like it to be portable. TOKRIS is a wonderful contact if you looking for a scanner. Cheers

VE3JSO

And whatever P25 digital scanner you buy, the rubber duck antenna they give you looks great but works lousy. Listening is only part of this hobby. Good Luck, Skip

not in every case the rubber duck antenna that came with my pro 106 works great i always get good reception on analog and digital conv freqs and 99% signal strength on fleetnet sarnia tower, lambton edacs system, the new rcmp p25 phase 1 system and 90-95% on the st clair mpscs system tower

Status
Not open for further replies.