Los Angeles, CA - Communication system aims at aiding first-responders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansul1001

#1 Member
After years in limbo, what has been dubbed as one of the most important emergency preparedness and homeland security projects in the state is about to take shape in Los Angeles County, even as surrounding counties push for similar projects.

A joint-powers authority will receive bids next month for the initial phase of a pioneering communications system that would, for the first time, allow Los Angeles County's 34,000 first responders and 17,000 second responders to, basically, talk with each other.

Currently, law enforcement and fire departments use an often incompatible and outdated patchwork of radio technologies and frequencies, which can significantly hamper a coordinated response to calamities and endanger lives.

The proposed Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) is intended to replace that.

Communication system aims at aiding first-responders - San Bernardino County Sun

Last edited by a moderator:

techman210

This is another "puff piece" full of inaccurate information. If only these reporters would do more than listen to uninformed PR people and surf websites to get their information, the public would be much better informed.

The OP may wish to copy and paste the entire article, as the Sun (and all LA Newsgroup newspapers) tend to remove their articles after only a couple of weeks.

icis_monitor

"Nothing like this has ever been undertaken before."

I wonder what icis and the orange county people feel about this comment?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"The OP may wish to copy and paste the entire article..."

Uh uh, copyright issues here RR won't stand for so get it while you can.

ansul1001

#1 Member
A digital system is not going to work as good as the current 800 analog system because of lack of freqs unless they lower there freqs to the new 700 system that is already in place. Also 20 mill a year for eight years wow

San Bernardino County's system is so old that replacement parts are hard to come by, so much so that technicians have had to search E-Bay to find scarce parts, officials said.

Where have I heard this before? Lol.

Stupid newspaper articles.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'd be fascinated to know how a digital system will perform in the canyons mountainous areas of San Bernardino County. Am I worrying needlessly?

Worrying needlessly? It's probably needless unless your life is depending on it. Then you can worry.

But seriously, I think people will find that a digital system performs differently than an analog system, but not necessarily better or worse. They both have advantages and disadvantages, and it will depend on specific circumstances to determine whether the change is a problem or not.

One thing is for certain... the existing sites will not be sufficient for the desired level of mountain coverage.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Where have I heard this before? Lol.

Stupid newspaper articles.

The real question is, where did the newspapers hear it?

I actually know, but now that the myth is out there, it will be impossible to kill. The problem with stupid newspaper articles isn't the reporters... it's the people the reporters talk to.

In my 35+ years in the business, I have seen quite a few articles about the radio systems show up in the papers. And not once have the reporters ever talked to the people on the ground who really know what's happening.

mikepdx

In my 35+ years in the business, I have seen quite a few articles about the radio systems show up in the papers. And not once have the reporters ever talked to the people on the ground who really know what's happening.

I wonder how much money and grief could be saved in the long run
if they'd only consult the people on the ground and in the know.

Good luck to you all in SoCal.

Last edited:

mikepdx

I'd be fascinated to know how a digital system will perform in the canyons mountainous areas of San Bernardino County. Am I worrying needlessly?

Ask the folks in Colorado who are in the midst of the Rocky Mountain range
how well digital performs in the mountains and canyons.
They run a P25 800 statewide system.

Amazingly, you don't hear a lot of bad about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.