Los Zetas Using Sophisticated Two-Way Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YDR

*laughs* Whatever, man. Only one of us has nothing better to do than look up poop pictures.

RADIO STUFF:
I'm wondering how they link to these remote towers (like the volcano-top one). Are they running microwave links between them? Not like you can just use IPSC plugged into your broadband line when your site is fifty miles of jungle track from the nearest electricity.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm wondering how they link to these remote towers (like the volcano-top one). Are they running microwave links between them? Not like you can just use IPSC plugged into your broadband line when your site is fifty miles of jungle track from the nearest electricity.

Could be microwave, DEA and Mexican police won't discuss the specifics, but all the remote sites had battery power and solar cells to maintain them. My guess is they either used microwave or some other RF backhaul. In the few photos I can find, they had BOTH NXDN and TRBO subscriber units. Not sure how it was all meshed together.

They were reported to have 18-wheelers equipped as mobile command centers, in another Mexican state, they found 155 repeaters and 3,000 subscriber units. That is more than some large metropolitan cities have!

com501

Could be microwave, DEA and Mexican police won't discuss the specifics, but all the remote sites had battery power and solar cells to maintain them. My guess is they either used microwave or some other RF backhaul. In the few photos I can find, they had BOTH NXDN and TRBO subscriber units. Not sure how it was all meshed together.

They were reported to have 18-wheelers equipped as mobile command centers, in another Mexican state, they found 155 repeaters and 3,000 subscriber units. That is more than some large metropolitan cities have!

For these cartels, who are burning $5s, 10s, and 20s because they are too bulky, 155 repeaters is like you or I deciding on cutting back on one Starbucks a month. This is BIG money.

Status
Not open for further replies.