Loss Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan79

Hi,

Completely new to scanners, but it looks fun. I would like to buy an affordable one. Can anyone give me suggestions for a scanner to buy, and any California frequencies for loss preventions? Thanks,

Evan

Hi Evan 79. Welcome to RR. To get some answers to your questions since I'm guessing you live in California is to post your questions in the California Forum. Click on User Cp and scroll down to the Califonia forum. I would not spend more than 500 or so for new scanner. You can find them on ebay and the scanner forums. It all depends on what you want to listen too.apco25/digital conventional,amateur and more. there are scanners that can do a combinations of things. I myself have the pro 106.

N

N_Jay

Sounds like he wants to listen to store security. :roll:

Evan79

Scanner suggestion

Hi,

I bought a Radio Shack 200-channel scanner, but did not seem to pick up as much as I'd like. I would like to pick up retail loss prevention, can anyone suggest an affordable scanner from Radio Shack that work for this?

Thanks

JoeyC

Just about ANY scanner will pick up store security, but you have to be IN THE STORE or on the property to hear them as they likely are VERY low power.

ffemt601

I can see listening to police, fire, and ems dispatch , however I am at a loss for a legitimate reason to listen to loss prevention.

mikepdx

I can see listening to police, fire, and ems dispatch , however I am at a loss for a legitimate reason to listen to loss prevention.

Those that are on the whacker side can quite comical to monitor.
On the flip side, their radios can really be hopping around the Christmas season.

Some people might like to listen to the
sewer plant or the garbage pickup trucks.

The bottom line is that it's whatever melts your butter.

Legitimate? Who defines legitimacy in scanning?
Who are we to question a motive?

There are probably more than a few cops
who can't figure out why people would want to listen
to their squawk box all day without being paid to do so.

Last edited:

ffemt601

Those that are on the whacker side can quite comical to monitor.
On the flip side, their radios can really be hopping around the Christmas season.

The bottom line is that it's whatever melts your butter.

Some people might like to listen to the
sewer plant or the garbage pickup trucks.

Legitimate? Who defines legitimacy in scanning?
Who are we to question a motive?

There are probably more than a few cops
who can't figure out why people would want to listen
to their squawk box all day without being paid to do so.

Okay perhaps I shouldn't have used the term legitimate, but seriously I have never heard of anyone wanting a scanner whose sole purpose would be to monitor store security.

People listen to Law, fire, and ems to know what is going on in their community and sometimes out of curiosity. I would have to be pretty bored to consider going to the mall to listen to rent a cops.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Okay perhaps I shouldn't have used the term legitimate, but seriously I have never heard of anyone wanting a scanner whose sole purpose would be to monitor store security.

People listen to Law, fire, and ems to know what is going on in their community and sometimes out of curiosity. I would have to be pretty bored to consider going to the mall to listen to rent a cops.

Well y'know, there's all sorts of stuff out there to listen to other than fire, police and ems. Many different things turn people on. I enjoy listening to public transit, marine harbour traffic, snow, and fire towers - not things some people may find exciting, but to me they are.

N8IAA

I love listening to mall security:) It is great entertainment. I have the store frequencies programmed in also. Ya just never know what you're going to hear:eek:
Larry

D

DUTCHSCHULTZ74

Hello,N8IAA
It reminds you of the movie mall cop driving with the chariot lol

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I bought a Radio Shack 200-channel scanner, but did not seem to pick up as much as I'd like. I would like to pick up retail loss prevention, can anyone suggest an affordable scanner from Radio Shack that work for this?

Thanks

Normally that scanner should work fine for that purpose. Assuming they are not using a trunked, or digital system. Odds are pretty good they're just using inexpensive FRS/GMRS bubble-pack radios, or possibly standard VHF or UHF business band radios.

The list of possible frequencies is quite large. What bands have you tried?

As mentioned previously, you would have to be in close proximity.

RayAir

Along time ago I used to work loss prevention for a major retailer. We were on 466.8125.
There wasn't very much excitement and we were at a "bad" mall. I think we averaged about 1-2 stops per shift.

Check UHF, between 461-470MHz. That's the most popular range to find security agencies, etc.

Evan79

It's an 800MHZ scanner. Mainly tried at Target stores to pick up LP, but haven't got it yet. Seems like they might be using a trunked system.

cmallen99

You should also check the frequencies just above GMRS/FRS --- from 467.750 up to 467.950. Lots of department stores are on those frequencies.

For larger shopping malls that have a high power repeater you should be able to get that info from the RadioReference database and/or the FCC database at Site / Frequency Query

Just plug in the latitude and longitude of the shopping mall or store that you are curious about and use a small radius, such as 2 miles, to limit the hits to that place.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.