Low-profile "all-band" NMO mobile antenna - in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weatherman

I'm looking to purchase a low-profile (i.e. less than 20 inches) "all band" mobile antenna (NMO) for installation in the pick-up.

Coax and NMO mount all ready to go - just need to screw in the antenna.
Running a Pro-652.

The closest I can find to suite my needs is a Comtelco from ScannerMaster -https://www.scannermaster.com/Comtelco_All_Band_Low_Profile_Mobile_Antenna_p/07-540719.htm

Price is fine. However, after shipping and currency conversion, this will cost about $130 Canadian funds.

My question, please: Can this Comtelco or a comparable antenna be found in Canada? If so, where? Searched RadioWorld but no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike / VE3NMX

prcguy

To me the Comtelco looks the same as a PCTEL/Maxrad BMAXSCAN100. I've picked up several of those on Ebay in the $15 range and also the Larsen Tri-band for a similar price. I doubt if you would notice any performance differences between these three antennas.

A new Larsen Tri-band can be had for about $35US with free shipping to the US, not sure what extra postage to Canada would run. If you were local to me I would let you have one of my Maxrad or Larsen antennas for $15.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hands down, the Larsen tri-band, the older one or the newer version that has a spring.

I've been using this antenna forever and it is a good all-around performer for listening.

I concur with the others who recommend it.

Weatherman

Wow! That was fast! You guys are amazing.
Now I know where to go.

Thank you all - prcguy, mmckenna and trentbob.

Mike

Firekite

If you can find the newer version Larsen NMO150/450/768 you’ll be in business. Compact, effective, spring included.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Honestly if using for a scanner i recommend a simple 18" vhf quarter wave antenna. Works very well for scanner from vhf up.

Weatherman

prcguy - thanks for the link.

Firekite - will check that Larsen out - my concern with the tri-banders is performance below 150, say in the civil aviation band, 118-136, but one has to make reasonable compromises and just experiment.

n3obl - interesting that you say that, I have read the same somewhere before. I do have a a simple 2m antenna, about 20 inches. May cut it shorter and try that. It's been on the back of my mind.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
n3obl - interesting that you say that, I have read the same somewhere before. I do have a a simple 2m antenna, about 20 inches. May cut it shorter and try that. It's been on the back of my mind.

A 1/4 wave VHF antenna is 3/4 wave on UHF. Years ago I used a 1/4 wave VHF antenna on a dual band amateur radio. Works well, but not the "ideal" solution for all cases.

If you have a 1/4 wave VHF, give it a try. Don't cut it yet, 20 inches will put you in the VHF air band. It may be "good enough" for what you need.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Got it, mmckenna - 144-148 MHz (2m) 1/4 wave ranges from 19-20 inches in length. Thanks.

Yep, and 1/4 wave antennas are -very- broad banded. I've swept them on my trucks with a 2:1 or less VSWR from 140-170MHz.
Good ground plane makes a difference, too.

Here's the sweep from one of mine on top of a full size pickup. This is the standard $9.00 Larsen NMOQ quarter wave antenna:

qlfXD2a.jpg

Weatherman

Not too bad.
Up here the NMOQ you indicate costs 3x that price mentioned... plus tax.
Although not in the best position on the truck, the scanner antenna I will use will be adequately grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.