Mac compatible scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

speard

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of maybe picking up a digital scanner for some moderate home use. I was looking at the PSR-800, but found that it, and all GRE scanners are not compatible with Apple products. I emailed them to verify, and Wayne confirmed this.

An option would be to dual boot my mac, but I would prefer not to.

Are there any other digital scanners that are Mac compatible, or will I need to buy a Windows OS and dual boot?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Really it's not the scanner that is or is not compatible, it's the software (and in this category, I'm including USB-serial converters, since I believe a serial connection on a mac is quite different from one found on a, for example, Dell Windows PC); while there are a few TCL/TK options out there, the vast majority of packages are Windows-based.

Personally it's probably cheaper to buy an el-cheapo desktop and monitor, load up on memory (always a consideration) and devote that to scanner related products. Either that or dual-boot - however not all Windows software plays nice in a virtual environment.

best regards..Mike

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I'd agree with the previous poster's points.

What I did is get a Refurb. Netbook from Dell for $100 (and Dell even gave me a warranty)
It's worked great, and I've found it beneficial to have a dedicated Comp. for my scanners.
(Especially, one so small)

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I actually use my macbook pro to program all of my radios which includes all the high end scanners from both Uniden and GRE. I use VMware to boot up in windows 7 professional and it works flawless every time.

I actually use the laptop for business which is why I have the dual boot capability on the computer. There is one business software that I need that does not come in MAC flavor. Since I require this dual boot capability I use it to program my radios also. Would I purchase windows and dual boot the computer just for radio programming software - NO but since I have the need I use it and it does work very well.

Just thought I would let you know since you were asking.

wise871

Database Admin
I have an iMac that I run Parallels Desktop 7 (Win7 64) so I can program my scanners. But now I invested in a Asus 10.1 Netbook as my primary scanner programing PC. Most of the time I will build up the files on the iMac and use the netbook to transfer the files to the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.