Mac user needs help picking a PC for Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonypBrat

Hello All,
I have used scanners since the early 70's. I am now the proud owner od a BCD436HP.
I ALMOST returned it! THREE times :>
Well, I am also a long time Mac user and really do not want to use a PC. But, I have decided that I like this scanner and I would LOVE it if I could get it programmed properly and that requires a PC.
SO, could someone tell me exactly what I need in a PC to use the Uniden supplied programming software?
I'd prefer to buy something used off of CL or fleabay since I will not be using the PC for anything else.
thanks for all input!!
Tony P
Monroe, NC

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
You could install Windows on your Mac using Bootcamp. I'm doing that on my MacBookPro from 2008.This gives you dual boot and works pretty well. I decided a while back to get a PC for dedicated radio use and bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre SFF. It's built like a tank, the onboard video is adequate for virtual radio use (Butel, Proscan, TrunkPCR, Freescan etc.) I just saw a Core 2 Duo 2.33 M57P at Overstock.com for $139. Or... check out Craigslist. You should be able to find a Dell or HP for $100 or so.

smoothisfast

Premium Subscriber
Could a virtual machine running windows work? VMware fusion, parallels and virtual box(free)

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Been a longtime fan of both Virtualbox (free) and VMWare Fusion (not free, but not bad) ever since I've been addicted to macs. VMWare Fusion seems to have an edge on usb support, IMO.

I've effortlessly used Sentinel in a windows virtual machine with no problems. The added perk of a virtual machine, is you never have to reboot your machine just to use windows; it just rides on top of OSX (and very well, I might add).

Just remember, you'll need an ISO file or DVD of windows, and a legit license key.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I bought a refurb Dell including keyboard and mouse from NewEgg's eBay site for $124 shipped. It came with Windows 7 and I use it only to run a home weather station.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Most anything will run Sentinel. I've used a (now old) netbook. I'd go with anything that has Win7. No more than 150 and probably under 100 if you get lucky.

Real advantage - that way you can dedicate it to logging - if that's your thing.

Thayne

I have found that if you ask on craigslist or sites like nextdoor, someone will probably give you one or more. Since the powers that be don't want them thrown in the dumpsters anymore people would rather give it to someone that will maybe put it to good use.
Just be sure that it is not older than about 2005, because not much chance of running win 7 on old ones; but "beggars can't be choosers"; so you might have to take some junk to get something good.
I even offer to give them back the hard drive or smash it or reformat it so they don't worry about their data getting passed around.

durangoGreg

Like others have said, you don't need a PC. Just use windows running under bootcamp (free except the cost of windows) or use parallels ($49 for parallels + cost of windows).

Both work. However Parallels has a problem using the USB drive mode with x36 radios (some sort of bug in the USB firmware for the x36 radios). Instead you will need to have a card reader and use your MicroSD card in the 436 directly with Sentinel using the card reader. Everything works fine with a card reader.

You will have no problems using bootcamp since you are essentially using a 100% genuine Windows/Intel PC (no virtual machine).

Hopefully in the near future Uniden will correct the firmware bug that is causing the flakey USB function with Parallels. It is definitely on Uniden's end because Parallels works fine with all other manufactures USB drives, including the HomePatrol-1 USB drive only x36 radios have an issue.

Uniden has the distinction of being the only manufacturer with a piece of hardware I have ever used that breaks Parallels. Since this same front USB port is having issues with users of Windows PC's as well, I suspect it may have firmware updates soon.

Why would you want to own a crappy windows machine just to run sentinel?

Status
Not open for further replies.