Main Line Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpstinson1963

Toronto Scanner News
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone

I would please like to know is there only one main line frequency monitored from end to end? I live in Toronto, Canada and have rail subdivisions all around me. There is the Oakville Sub (Go Transit), North Toronto Sub (CPR), Gault Sub (CPR & Go Transit) Newmarket Sub (CPR - Go Transit) + others.

My question is if for example I am listening to the one of the subdivisions that have both CPR & Go Transit from the start of that subdivision would the engineer be monitoring the same frequency from start to the end as long as he is on the same subdivision or is there somewhere along the line they will change frequency?

Thank You

William

N9JIG

Sheriff
Road Channels for large railroads are assigned on a point to point basis, usually by subdivision. Occasionally the change from one road channel to another might change partway thru the sub, this can occur due to technical reasons (interference from another user etc.) or that the subs were realigned but the radio infrastructure wasn't.

In some areas multiple subs might be on the same frequency. This is common if there are a few small branches or lightly trafficked subs along the way.

homerjay

Hello everyone

I would please like to know is there only one main line frequency monitored from end to end? I live in Toronto, Canada and have rail subdivisions all around me. There is the Oakville Sub (Go Transit), North Toronto Sub (CPR), Gault Sub (CPR & Go Transit) Newmarket Sub (CPR - Go Transit) + others.

My question is if for example I am listening to the one of the subdivisions that have both CPR & Go Transit from the start of that subdivision would the engineer be monitoring the same frequency from start to the end as long as he is on the same subdivision or is there somewhere along the line they will change frequency?

Thank You

William

All of the following was taken from my 2020 Canadian Trackside Guide, which was Published before the Toronto Rail Shake up.

By that I mean Feb 14 2020 Metrolinx (MX) assumed ownership of rails around the area that they run on, EG CN Oakville Sub From Mi 0 west to Mi 30.5, all of the Newmarket Sub North to Barrie, All of the Weston Sub, Few Miles of the CN Kingston Sub I believe, Mil 0 to 16 of the Bala Sub, Part of the CP Galt Sub, All of the CP Canpa Sub. RTC Communications were transferred from the respective railways to MX RTC in Oakville.

The Frequencies are as follows,

CN Mainline Ch 1 is 161.415 - You will hear all initial RTC to train conversations for all CN lines and GO Transit Lines as well as all hot box detectors
CN Ch 8 is 161.025 - This is the CN Oakville (MX Oakville) Sub, CN Halton Sub (Mi 39-49) Standby, you will hear all major communications ie, permits, work clearances on this channel
CN Ch 3 - 160.935 MX (GO) RTC uses this as their standby for the North division You may hear the MX Newmarket Sub on here Go trains and CN Freights day and night
CN Ch 4 - 160.665 This is the Standby for the Halton Sub (Mi 0-39), MX Weston Sub (Might be the MX North one since CN no longer owns this sub) and CN York Sub.

As for CP, they run their radios a little differently, where each subdivision has its own mainline channel and call-in frequency. The call in you wil only hear beeps and tones and the communication as well as hot box detectors are on the standby channel.

CP Galt Sub - MX Own from Mi 0-4.8 and I'm unsure of the radio channel they use might be the same)
Standby: CP CH 1 - 161.475 (Mi 0-40 near Toronto)
CP CH 5 - 161.325 (Mi 40-114)

CP North Toronto
Standby: CP Ch 4 - 161.115

CP Belleville Sub
Standby: CP Ch 7 - 161.535 (Mi 0-195.9 Smiths Falls Being Mi 0)
CP Ch 4 - 161.115 (Mi 195.9-206 Toronto Being Mi 206)

Hope this get you some listening.

wpstinson1963

Toronto Scanner News
Premium Subscriber
All of the following was taken from my 2020 Canadian Trackside Guide, which was Published before the Toronto Rail Shake up.

By that I mean Feb 14 2020 Metrolinx (MX) assumed ownership of rails around the area that they run on, EG CN Oakville Sub From Mi 0 west to Mi 30.5, all of the Newmarket Sub North to Barrie, All of the Weston Sub, Few Miles of the CN Kingston Sub I believe, Mil 0 to 16 of the Bala Sub, Part of the CP Galt Sub, All of the CP Canpa Sub. RTC Communications were transferred from the respective railways to MX RTC in Oakville.

The Frequencies are as follows,

CN Mainline Ch 1 is 161.415 - You will hear all initial RTC to train conversations for all CN lines and GO Transit Lines as well as all hot box detectors
CN Ch 8 is 161.025 - This is the CN Oakville (MX Oakville) Sub, CN Halton Sub (Mi 39-49) Standby, you will hear all major communications ie, permits, work clearances on this channel
CN Ch 3 - 160.935 MX (GO) RTC uses this as their standby for the North division You may hear the MX Newmarket Sub on here Go trains and CN Freights day and night
CN Ch 4 - 160.665 This is the Standby for the Halton Sub (Mi 0-39), MX Weston Sub (Might be the MX North one since CN no longer owns this sub) and CN York Sub.

As for CP, they run their radios a little differently, where each subdivision has its own mainline channel and call-in frequency. The call in you wil only hear beeps and tones and the communication as well as hot box detectors are on the standby channel.

CP Galt Sub - MX Own from Mi 0-4.8 and I'm unsure of the radio channel they use might be the same)
Standby: CP CH 1 - 161.475 (Mi 0-40 near Toronto)
CP CH 5 - 161.325 (Mi 40-114)

CP North Toronto
Standby: CP Ch 4 - 161.115

CP Belleville Sub
Standby: CP Ch 7 - 161.535 (Mi 0-195.9 Smiths Falls Being Mi 0)
CP Ch 4 - 161.115 (Mi 195.9-206 Toronto Being Mi 206)

Hope this get you some listening.
Thank you very much for your help. I am currently waiting for my 2021 Canadian Trackside Guide to arrive in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.