Maintaining Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

When your ignition shuts off and the scanner shuts off, will the scanner go back to the recent volume level when it reboots? Or is there a setting in the profile etc.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
When your ignition shuts off and the scanner shuts off, will the scanner go back to the recent volume level when it reboots? Or is there a setting in the profile etc.

For the BCD536, if the physical volume control is left alone then the volume will resume based on its current setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The only problem I have with not turning the scanner off is it writes to the SD card for shutting down just killing the power is asking for a SD card crash. It will happen not every time but it will happen and when it does you will trash the SD card and the scanner will not work until the SD card is replaced or restored from a PC.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
The only problem I have with not turning the scanner off is it writes to the SD card for shutting down just killing the power is asking for a SD card crash. It will happen not every time but it will happen and when it does you will trash the SD card and the scanner will not work until the SD card is replaced or restored from a PC.

That is a risk for sure but...(1) I carry a backup with me all the time and (2) I have been using my 536 in this manner since October and have had no issue yet.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That is a risk for sure but...(1) I carry a backup with me all the time and (2) I have been using my 536 in this manner since October and have had no issue yet.

Me too.

Yes it might be just a matter of time, but from another post by Upman recommending a certain SD card, it suggests SD cards don't last forever any way.

Back to the original question. Any changes that are made via the keypad/menu are "forgotten" when the scanner loses power. They are remembered if you do a "normal" shutdown (turn power off via volume knob). That "Writing to SD card" is committing the changes you made via the keypad/menu.

Chronic

I would have to think that fluctuating power is not very good for the scanner either . while cranking the power goes way low and just as the car starts you could have a inrush of voltage and current .

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I would have to think that fluctuating power is not very good for the scanner either . while cranking the power goes way low and just as the car starts you could have a inrush of voltage and current .

Probably and that's why I use a ChargeGuard and a small battery feeding scanner in parallel with the vehicle battery. It still shuts off abruptly but it is protected during startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.