R30 Making progress, but need help

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hello again, R30 fans!

I've successfully paired some cheap JLAB wireless earbuds I bought at the grocery store to my R30 (and even to my Unication G5, but that's another story).

The earbuds work just fine if I connect them directly to the R30. They've got their own volume buttons and some equalizer settings that I'll explore later.

I've also paired the earbuds to my RS-R30 application in my iPhone, but I can't seem to connect them in a way that enables the RS-R30 app to send audio to the earbuds or control their volume. In the meantime, the app works just fine when it's connected directly to the R30.

I don't know what I might be doing incorrectly. I don't have a lot of experience connecting Bluetooth devices to anything other than my automobile, and I've never tried connecting three Bluetooth devices at the same time.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The earbuds work just fine if I connect them directly to the R30. They've got their own volume buttons and some equalizer settings that I'll explore later.

I've also paired the earbuds to my RS-R30 application in my iPhone, but I can't seem to connect them in a way that enables the RS-R30 app to send audio to the earbuds or control their volume. In the meantime, the app works just fine when it's connected directly to the R30.
Yes, earbuds or speakers work via BT when connected directly to the R30.

No, the RS-R30 app on iPhone/Android does not send audio to earbuds/speakers. The app only controls the R30 and while it can "control" the volume level etc., your audio to speakers and earbuds come directly from the R30. To control the volume, simply select the VOL/SQL tab on the app near the top and you'll see the options.

It would be nice if the app/device also handled the audio, as it would also extend the audio range even further, but no go.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hello again, R30 fans!

I've successfully paired some cheap JLAB wireless earbuds I bought at the grocery store to my R30 (and even to my Unication G5, but that's another story).

I don't know what I might be doing incorrectly. I don't have a lot of experience connecting Bluetooth devices to anything other than my automobile, and I've never tried connecting three Bluetooth devices at the same time.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)
Well, that settles it.

I'm beginning to wonder why I downloaded the app. It looks nice on the iPhone display, and I understand you can do a little programming with it if your computer isn't nearby, but golly . . . I'm glad it's free!

Thanks, vagrant (and Kevin?)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use it when I’m in another room or outside allowing the radio to be connected to an external antenna. It’s pretty dynamic that way, or in a bag without drawing attention by pulling out a phone.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I use it when I’m in another room or outside allowing the radio to be connected to an external antenna. It’s pretty dynamic that way, or in a bag without drawing attention by pulling out a phone.
I think I've found a niche like that for the application, but of course, some additional features would really be nice.

I also discovered a statement by Icom about the R30 while I was doing some research on the internet that indicated they were working on a replacement for the R30. That sounds exciting!

Thanks again for all your help, vagrant.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)