Map of all the system modes across the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Frankly, I don't think you defined clear enough criteria for what exactly you are or aren't including, and I'm not sure that you have enough of a grasp of the nature of these systems to figure out how you should display them in a hierarchy that makes sense.

Listen, I'm not trying to crap all over something you're having fun with...by all means, but as far as this being a useful tool to the general public? Eh, unlikely.
I agree. I don't really know what I'm going by anymore. I just wanted to make it easier for people to make a decision on what scanner to buy other than the most expensive SDS series. I'm getting a BCD996P2 in June, and I wanted to make a map that made easier for people like me to distinguish what states use what so they know what to get. I though it would be easy, but it's not, and I'm not that educated on it either.
So In turn it became a mass web that was too complicated for me to finish. Thank you all again for your help, I may try again some time in the future.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
At this point in 2023, with so many agencies going to trunking systems, the wise investment is in a P25 Phase II capable scanner, especially if you do any traveling. For those in areas where P25 trunking is simulcast, the only reliable scanner options at this point are the SDS100 or SDS200, unless of course you go with something different like a Unication G Series pager.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Idk what sub to put this, mods and/or admins can move this post with discretion if needed.

I used the RR Database to map out all the state systems, please tell me if there are any inaccuracies and I will correct them.
View attachment 142161
Surprisingly, a whole lot of the country is still using phase 1 with the exception of Oregon being fully analog from what i'm seeing.
I love the map. In my opinion, there is no confusion. I am taking this as a current "general" view of the systems used across the U.S. If folks want to expound upon the discrepancies, it would be rather simple to look at the various systems, state by state.

Collectively, there are indeed inaccuracies. I consider this a working model since you asked for others to help you fine tune it.

I don't care to read all of the comments that follow because I don't really care to read them. I also don't want to fall in the quicksand of minutiae that seems to be characteristic of theses forums.

Thanks for posting.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't care to read all of the comments that follow because I don't really care to read them. I also don't want to fall in the quicksand of minutiae that seems to be characteristic of theses forums.
So details don't matter to you, is what you're saying? I'll remember that the next time you make a post where you're confused about something (seems quite often) and are seeking guidance, we won't bog you down with the "minutia" of a thorough answer.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
So details don't matter to you, is what you're saying? I'll remember that the next time you make a post where you're confused about something (seems quite often) and are seeking guidance, we won't bog you down with the "minutia" of a thorough answer.

If I ask for specificity, I will ask. If you don't answer, I will ask someone else. If you want to plot the frequency of occurrence of my confused posts, I recommend using a cumulative frequency polygon.

I have learned that one of the most difficult tasks is to reduce complexity to simplicity.

Thanks for your response. I am laughing. God bless your pea-picking heart.

Last edited:

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
I love the map. In my opinion, there is no confusion. I am taking this as a current "general" view of the systems used across the U.S. If folks want to expound upon the discrepancies, it would be rather simple to look at the various systems, state by state.

Collectively, there are indeed inaccuracies. I consider this a working model since you asked for others to help you fine tune it.

Thanks for posting.
Thank you! This map is a little bit more accurate than the top one you see.
Public_Safety_Radio_Systems_lastmap.png
It's the best I can do, it's very complex system with unknown but assumed criteria of regional/statewide/countywide/citywides systems.
I may come back to this in the future with more knowledge, but this will work for now!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
it's very complex system with unknown but assumed criteria of regional/statewide/countywide/citywides systems.
It's really not, though. But anyway, my participation in this thread has run its course. Ciao.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I never heard that word before. After I was done masticating, and had a free hand, I googled it. :ROFLMAO:
Surprisingly I know masticate. Learned it when I was probably 12 or 13. It was such a great junior high word.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
North and South Dakota are still in the build-out phase. Most of ND is VHF conventional P25. SD is still using MOTOROLA Type II. Some parts of ND, SD are using the new 800 P25 systems (respectively), although it will be a year or two before both states have fully transitioned.

Edit: SD is actually VHF

Low-Band

In my humble opinion, I like what @Pr999 is trying to pull together. A simple visual of all the 'state-wide' agency systems.

If I could make one suggestion, I'd like to see the "names" of the systems applied to the map for each state.
Example: SLERS, STARS, MARCS, etc

Below are some the system names that I'm aware of. I completely understand there are many more.
  • Florida - SLERS _____ (Statewide Law Enforcement Radio System)
  • Virginia - STARS _____ (STatewide Agencies Radio System)
  • Indiana - SAFE-T _____ (???)
  • Ohio - MARCS _____ (Multi-Agency Radio Communications System)
  • North Carolina - VIPER _____ (Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders)
  • South Carolina - Palmetto 800
  • Tennessee - TACN _____ (Tennessee Advanced Communications Network)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! This map is a little bit more accurate than the top one you see.
View attachment 142192
It's the best I can do, it's very complex system with unknown but assumed criteria of regional/statewide/countywide/citywides systems.
I may come back to this in the future with more knowledge, but this will work for now!

You bet. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.