Mapping a New Trunked System

pb_lonny

We have a new state-wide trunking networking being installed (TASGRN) and as such, I am mapping this out. This includes:
Sites and site IDs
Talk groups
Users
Other information.

As this is a brand new network, nobody knows anything about it so I am mapping it out.

What I am looking for is if anybody has any software they have used in the past to do this? I am using my UBCD436PT both with the recorder feature and also live listening. What I am looking for is a way to map the talk groups against sites and users plus dates and other notes to help work out who is using each talk group.
As an example:
26/07/2023: Talk Group 520 has been heard on site A. Talking about loading truck for John Smith at 123 Smith Street
The next day, I might log talk group 520 on site B talking about an issue with a truck

By doing this, I can build a picture of who is using each talk group and document this.

I started with a spreadsheet but this got very complex very quickly. I have started to code up a solution in Python, which is working fairly well but before I spend a lot of time on this, I was interested in what method others have used?

This is a new network, it is NOT in the RR database yet.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
We have a new state-wide trunking networking being installed (TASGRN) and as such, I am mapping this out. This includes:
Sites and site IDs
Talk groups
Users
Other information.

As this is a brand new network, nobody knows anything about it so I am mapping it out.

What I am looking for is if anybody has any software they have used in the past to do this?hers have used?

This is a new network, it is NOT in the RR database yet.

When I did our new county system a couple years ago I used Unitrunker (V2 with multiple SDRs) and found it very helpful. Also used pen and paper and a spread sheet tracking RIDs.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the replies.
I have loggings of the information with audio recordings, which I use to note down the user. As an example, I logged Talk Group 520 yesterday with talk about a key for a power station, this I can note down as belonging to our local power company.

My question was around keeping track of which talk groups use which site and notes on what they say, to enable me to document this. If a program to link all this does not exist, I will continue with mine in Python.

pb_lonny

P25 Phase 2.
It is a brand new network. I am logging a heap of information, what I need to do is keep notes on this to work out who is using each talk group and where they are being used.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Well you'll need a different scanner but you can use Pro96com. It'll track that system in no time. Pro96Com - Control channel decoder for P25 Trunked Radio Systems

Sadly, it doesn't work with the newer Uniden scanners -- the 436/536/SDS scanners.

As someone else said, you can get a $25 SDR dongle and use Unitrunker V2 to analyze that system. There are other programs that use Linux, etc. I can't comment on those personally.

19-685

Not sure if it will work with your model, but PRO96COM is a free and helpful P25 decoder which logs talkgroup IDs, individual radio IDs, site info (frequencies, site #, neighbors).

pb_lonny

Thanks all.
I am already logging the talk groups and sites, what I was looking for is a way to make notes of what I am hearing on each talk group and have a searchable record to refer back when trying to work out who is using each talk group and what for.
Below is something I have quickly coded up. I can enter Date - Talk group - Site - Notes in to another window, it then creates logs files by Talk group and Site, which I can search to keep a record of what I am hearing. Has anybody else built something like this?

1690421945203.png

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Paul I just use a notepad file to track a new system.

I start with the raw data (recorded by the TRX-1) and just correlate it from there. If necessary, I may track the TGIDs to the Site(s) but it's usually not necessary. I always map the RIDs to the TGIDs and usually a pattern will emerge. I make a separate table for just the TGID traffic notes that I can hear, interpolate -- since a lot of traffic may be quite limited and/or cryptic. I've learned not to make too many assumptions about what I hear. If I don't, my brain will take a simple word and jump to a silly interpretation. It takes time but eventually the details will paint a decent picture. There will always be holes in your picture though. Smaller systems are much easier but the larger ones take time.

If you're hearing full conversations then be grateful -- it may become fully encrypted in the coming weeks or months.

Collect what you can now.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Below is something I have quickly coded up. I can enter Date - Talk group - Site - Notes in to another window, it then creates logs files by Talk group and Site, which I can search to keep a record of what I am hearing. Has anybody else built something like this?
Impressive, but Google Sheets suffices for me whilst figuring out new conventionals or TRSes. Much easier to grab my phone & update on-the-fly