Marine radio in Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Ren and all,

"Wish they were MORE serious about it, as there are police departments in East Texas using marine band for dispatch, car-to-car, etc."

They may be licensed for the frequency in question. The FCC has been farming out marine and railroad channels to law enforcement and EMS, here at the shore several municipalities have marine frequencies on the license and in New York City and downstate an ambulance service has two railroad channels on thiers.

BTW, how's Stimpy? (;->)

Never mind him N_Jay, some people haven't learned that when they try to conceal BS under more BS all they end up with is a bigger pile of BS.

STiMULi

kb2vxa said:
Hi Ren and all,
RenMan51 said:
Wish they were MORE serious about it, as there are police departments in East Texas using marine band for dispatch, car-to-car, etc.
They may be licensed for the frequency in question. The FCC has been farming out marine and railroad channels to law enforcement and EMS, here at the shore several municipalities have marine frequencies on the license and in New York City and downstate an ambulance service has two railroad channels on thiers.

BTW, how's Stimpy? (;->)

Never mind him N_Jay, some people haven't learned that when they try to conceal BS under more BS all they end up with is a bigger pile of BS.

Amazing a quote within a quote

N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:

And some people turn their air conditional on and off every few minutes instead of just setting the thermostat.:lol: :lol:

RenMan51

loumaag said:
Were you by any chance listening to the HIDTA/DEA activities? BTW, I am pretty sure the FCC has no say about the MilAir, indeed any federal use frequencies, so your report will probably get filed in the circular file.

Actually, FCC governs ALL use of radio communications in the U.S. and its territories, including military usage. They tell the military which freqs they're authorized to use, and the military MUST comply with their assignments. I dealt with frequency management for twenty years as part of my duties in the Navy. In the normal course of my job, I HAD to be very familiar with the requirements placed on the military by the FCC.

And no, I was NOT listening to "HIDTA/DEA activities". I listened long enough to establish positive ID as HPD.

kb2vxa

Banned
Again just for fun,

"Amazing a quote within a quote"

Yeah Stim, sometimes I even amaze myself.

"And some people turn their air conditional on and off every few minutes instead of just setting the thermostat."

Interesting you mentioned that N_Jay, last week a neighbor was wondering why he tripped the circuit breaker. During the conversation he mentioned he does just that and that's where I left it and just walked away. (;->)

Oh, what's an "air conditional"? Have you been taking English lessons from Lisa Douglas? (;->) Green Acres is the place to be...

N

N_Jay

Question for Lindsay

With the new rules are we still allowed to tease Warren for his inability to use the Quotation feature in the forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
RenMan51 said:
loumaag said:
Were you by any chance listening to the HIDTA/DEA activities? BTW, I am pretty sure the FCC has no say about the MilAir, indeed any federal use frequencies, so your report will probably get filed in the circular file.
Actually, FCC governs ALL use of radio communications in the U.S. and its territories, including military usage. They tell the military which freqs they're authorized to use, and the military MUST comply with their assignments. I dealt with frequency management for twenty years as part of my duties in the Navy. In the normal course of my job, I HAD to be very familiar with the requirements placed on the military by the FCC.

And no, I was NOT listening to "HIDTA/DEA activities". I listened long enough to establish positive ID as HPD.
Okay, this is way off this topic but I will address it. The FCC is indeed charged with the administration of the radio spectrum in the US and US territories and must coordinate that with the International community. The DOD and indeed the entire Federal Government is allocated spectrum chunks. Those chunks, once allocated are no longer under the direct supervision of the FCC. They are allocated by the NTIA primarily and assigned specifically by DOD for military and OSM for the federal. The FCC does not regulate the usage except in international disputes. Complaining to the FCC about a military frequency problem is useless, as I said. However, if you get an action response to your complaint, I would be interested to see it.

As to HIDTA, Houston has a lot of this activity including aircraft surveillance, which of course could (and does) include ground based mobile and fixed stations.

BirkenVogt

kb2vxa said:
"Wish they were MORE serious about it, as there are police departments in East Texas using marine band for dispatch, car-to-car, etc."

Same here. Our local fire input channel is 5KC off from a marine channel (156.33) and with one old repeater, we hear them on the tail all the time. Since we are so far inland it doesn't bother communications though. A local timber company has a repeater pair on railroad channels and so does a local sheriff's office. It is all well coordinated so it doesn't bother anyone.

Birken

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
BirkenVogt said:
Same here. Our local fire input channel is 5KC off from a marine channel (156.33) and with one old repeater, we hear them on the tail all the time. Since we are so far inland it doesn't bother communications though. A local timber company has a repeater pair on railroad channels and so does a local sheriff's office. It is all well coordinated so it doesn't bother anyone.

Birken
The FCC grants inland LMR licenses on the Marine channels all the time. It is available. The Railroad is interesting. About half of the South Dakota state frequencies used in the statewide VHF TRS are in the paging frequencies with FCC approval.

multisync

CapnJon said:
They are pretty popular with the bear hunters running their dog's...

People up here (Canada) use them as FRS radios from what I was told by a amateur radio shop. We are not as anal up here. Industry Canada has no teeth and the 2m and 70cm ham bands are pretty much dead as well as marine.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I have a MARINE RADIO in my Boat. Is that illeagal

This comment is meant to piss off some people and I know it will. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

code3cowboy

I put marine 16 and 22 in most of the VHF radios I program for SAR, they are the Marine SAR tac for this area. No reason to put a marine radio in the truck.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
seamusg said:
Not without FCC aproval. The only one I've seen was a marine salvage co. owner.

Part 80 clearly states that a HANDHELD can be used on shore, provided it's properly licensed as a coast utility station. I see nothing that allows MOBILE units. I know it's done, but I'm not so sure it's legal. It's been 25+ years since I've needed to dig into Part 80 regs, so I'm not 100% certain of any changes. I suppose if someone was really interested, they could look it up.

Having a radio capable of transmitting installed in a vehicle is asking for trouble, especially if there is no associated coast or ship license. I'm not sure why someone would want one under those circumstances. Isn't that what scanners are for?

Grog

Banned
zz0468 said:
Isn't that what scanners are for?

As someone who uses both scanners and "real" radios, there is a big difference in the RX quality in most.

My old fire dept had several CG freqs in our HTs and mobiles as we did water rescue as well as communicating with a draw bridge on CG13 (if anyone from Brunswick county NC is reading, you can guess where :wink: ).

Of course I'm sure the radio shop programmed CH13 as low power as required :p

elk2370bruce

Dispatcher308 said:
I have a MARINE RADIO in my Boat. Is that illeagal

No it's not illegal but it sure puts you in the distinct minority. Using Marine frequencies in a boat??? What a unique approach! Such creative wonders of the mind never cease to amaze me.

hogcat

Im surprised someone had not said its legal to use a marine radio while they are floating on a tube in a backyard swimming pool.

N

N_Jay

hogcat said:
Im surprised someone had not said its legal to use a marine radio while they are floating on a tube in a backyard swimming pool.

Al depends.

Is your pool big enough to be a "navigable waterway"?

Status
Not open for further replies.