Marine VHF Programing

nd5y

There is more than one Motorola radio. Which model?
If it's a VHF radio that covers 156-162 MHz, capable of wideband, and can hold about 100 channels then it's possible to program all the VHF marine channels but it wouldn't be legal to use as a marine radio unless it has FCC Part 80 certification.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is it possible to program a Motorola radio to convert to a Marine VHF???

As nd5y said, it depends on the model.

Just so you are aware, there are a couple of other things you need to be aware of if you plan on transmitting with this radio:
-Programming radios used under FCC Part 80 requires the technician to hold an FCC issued GROL ticket.
-The radio must have FCC type 80 certification.
-The radio must support wideband on those channels.

If you are just going to use it as a receiver, then just program it up as receive only and enjoy.

Hiram1717

There is more than one Motorola radio. Which model?
If it's a VHF radio that covers 156-162 MHz, capable of wideband, and can hold about 100 channels then it's possible to program all the VHF marine channels but it wouldn't be legal to use as a marine radio unless it has FCC Part 80 certification.
It would be a Motorola cp200d but I am almost sure it requires some type of certification. My plan was to just program the main channels not all. But probably needs a certification. Is the FCC Type 80 certification only for transmitting.

nd5y

Look on the radio's label and get the FCC ID.
Then look up the FCC ID number on FCC ID Search or https://fccid.io.
If the radio has Part 80 certification it will be listed on the equipment authorization grant.

I don't know off hand if marine radio equipment authorization only covers the transmitter.
If you intend to use the radio for anything but hobby monitoring you would probably be better off buying a marine radio.

Hiram1717

Look on the radio's label and get the FCC ID.
Then look up the FCC ID number on FCC ID Search or https://fccid.io.
If the radio has Part 80 certification it will be listed on the equipment authorization grant.

I don't know off hand if marine radio equipment authorization only covers the transmitter.
If you intend to use the radio for anything but hobby monitoring you would probably be better off buying a marine radio.
Thank you so much for answering all my questions very much appreciated !

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Many older Motorola models are FCC part 80 but if its for receive only it doesn't matter. I was involved in a remote marine shore radio job in the 80s for Sea Tow or similar where we used a Motorola Radius M216 then found out it was not FCC part 80. We contacted Motorola and within a short amount of time they got that model radio FCC type accepted for part 80 and we were good.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It would be a Motorola cp200d but I am almost sure it requires some type of certification. My plan was to just program the main channels not all. But probably needs a certification. Is the FCC Type 80 certification only for transmitting.

CP200d does not have Part 80 certification. Would not be legal to transmit with that radio. Totally OK to use it as a receiver only.

Hiram1717

Many older Motorola models are FCC part 80 but if its for receive only it doesn't matter. I was involved in a remote marine shore radio job in the 80s for Sea Tow or similar where we used a Motorola Radius M216 then found out it was not FCC part 80. We contacted Motorola and within a short amount of time they got that model radio FCC type accepted for part 80 and we were good.
Oh that’s cool. I didn’t know you can call Motorola to get it FCC part 80 approved. Thank you so much for that information I really appreciate

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Oh that’s cool. I didn’t know you can call Motorola to get it FCC part 80 approved. Thank you so much for that information I really appreciate
It was just good timing, the Motorola model was current at the time and our person that contacted them gave a sales pitch on the need for remote marine stations and if they could get it type accepted it might generate more sales. Whatever the reason Motorola pulled off a very quick job on getting it type accepted. I would be surprised if they would do that again.

I also think Motorola had sufficient test data on hand from other type acceptance and just submitted existing data.

ecps92

I programmed a Baofeng UV6R for receive only - Turn "duplex" to off with chirp.........No desire to xmit, only listen.....
Waiting on a uv5"m" to come out :ROFLMAO:
Never used a CCR, but turning Duplex to "OFF" would mean simplex, not TX inhibit

nd5y

Duplex

This sets the duplex mode of the channel. If set to (None) then the transmit and receive frequencies are the same. If set to either + or - (plus or minus) then the transmit frequency will be either above or below (respectively) the receive frequency by the value of the Offset field.

If the duplex is set to split then the Offset field should contain the absolute transmit frequency to be used (if the radio supports this capability).

If the duplex is set to off then transmission on this channel will be disabled (if the radio supports this capability).

Note that for simplex channels, this should be set to (None) and repeater channels should have this set to either +,-, or split.

K3YGX

Then try keying up after doing it - Since I have no need to transmit on certain frequencies this
approach works for me. (have you tried it?) "Off" is the bottom choice in the dialog box in "duplex."

ecps92

Then try keying up after doing it - Since I have no need to transmit on certain frequencies this
approach works for me. (have you tried it?) "Off" is the bottom choice in the dialog box in "duplex."
No I have not tried it, as my Original post said "Never Used a CCR" aka Don't own any.
And any radio that I owned that indicated Duplex was Amateur and Duplex Off = Simplex

Was just trying to apply common English translation, based on Amateur Radio, but I guess CCR to English doesn't work

nd5y

The CHIRP developers use non-standard terminology for some items in their sofware that aren't used in radio menus, ham radio or commercial 2-way radio.