Mass Pike State Police clarification

N3BQX

Premium Subscriber
I'm planing a trip out east that takes me across MA on the Mass Pike and I am programing my Unication G-5. I noticed that MSP is on a P-25 Phase II system as well as the Motorola SmartZone system. I also saw on RR that "Mass Pike PD is fully operational on the P25 system using TG 2091". When I went to program my G5 using the RR Import button, I could not find that tag on the system. Any idea why, or does anyone have any Mass Pike updates that could be helpful?
Thanks,
Monty N3BQX

mrsvensven

There used to be an MSP troop called Troop E that was dedicated to the Mass Pike and used the same TG for most of the Mass Pike. Several years ago that troop disbanded and now the Mass Pike is patrolled by three different MSP troops on different channels.

The MSP P25 system only covers the western third of the state, from the New York line to about the Quabbin reservoir (the town of Monson on the pike). In that area, MSP patrols use the talkgroup with the label "B-PTL-2".

In the eastern two thirds of the state, the MSP use an analog smartzone trunk. From Monson to Framingham, they use the talkgroup "C-PTL-3". East of that is H-PTL-2, and in the immediate Boston area is H-PTL-3.

Last edited:

ecps92

I'm planing a trip out east that takes me across MA on the Mass Pike and I am programing my Unication G-5. I noticed that MSP is on a P-25 Phase II system as well as the Motorola SmartZone system. I also saw on RR that "Mass Pike PD is fully operational on the P25 system using TG 2091". When I went to program my G5 using the RR Import button, I could not find that tag on the system. Any idea why, or does anyone have any Mass Pike updates that could be helpful?
Thanks,
Monty N3BQX
as SvenSven indicated (and here are the links) 5/6's of the Commonwealth are on the Analog system

Springfield East

Springfield - West, along with these SPECIFIC areas - City of Worcester, City of Cambridge, Massport and a Rte-128 Overlay

N3BQX

Premium Subscriber
There used to be an MSP troop called Troop E that was dedicated to the Mass Pike and used the same TG for most of the Mass Pike. Several years ago that troop disbanded and now the Mass Pike is patrolled by three different MSP troops on different channels.

The MSP P25 system only covers the western third of the state, from the New York line to about the Quabbin reservoir (the town of Monson on the pike). In that area, MSP patrols use the talkgroup with the label "B-PTL-2".

In the eastern two thirds of the state, the MSP use an analog smartzone trunk. From Monson to Framingham, they use the talkgroup "C-PTL-3". East of that is H-PTL-2, and in the immediate Boston area is H-PTL-3.
Thanks, this was very helpful!

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
Analog also 856.9625 and 857.7125 are a few I still get every day.